I Have Keloids on My Chest and Legs. What Are My Options?

I am an indian male 28 years old. I have keloids on my chest and legs, it has been 10 years. I have tried a lot of treatments like steroid injections etc, but all in wain. could you please help me get rid of this permanently?

Hi there,

I wanted to let you know that it might be a lot more helpful to our doctors if you were to provide a photo.

Sarah, RealSelf Team.

Keloids on the chest

+1

Keloids can be treated to prevent recurrence.  Permanent cure is difficult.  I would begin with pulsed dye scar laser, IIT, and pressure treatment for chest keloids. In my practice, this yields high levels of success. 

+1

Kenalog or 5-FU injections are certainly a good treatment option for keloids. Surgical excision of the keloid scar with silicone sheeting and post-operative kenalog and/ or 5-FU injections can also be successful. However, the problem with this scenario is that chest and extremity scars tend to heal poorly almost as a rule and if you formed a keloid previously, there is a chance that scar revision might not help or make the situation worse.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloid treatment options

+1

There are various treatment options for keloids, and none are guaranteed, nor will the skin ever look perfectly normal...sad, but true. Cortisone injections can be quite effective, as can 5-FU injections. Excision of keloids is sometimes useful, and radiation can be useful in other cases. Topical remedies or silicone sheets tend to be of minimal benefit. Have a dermatologist review the best options for your keloids based on your skin type, thickness and location.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon