I Have Keloids on My Chest and Legs. What Are My Options?

I am an indian male 28 years old. I have keloids on my chest and legs, it has been 10 years. I have tried a lot of treatments like steroid injections etc, but all in wain. could you please help me get rid of this permanently?

Hi there,

I wanted to let you know that it might be a lot more helpful to our doctors if you were to provide a photo.

Sarah, RealSelf Team.

Keloids on the chest

Keloids can be treated to prevent recurrence.  Permanent cure is difficult.  I would begin with pulsed dye scar laser, IIT, and pressure treatment for chest keloids. In my practice, this yields high levels of success. 

Kenalog or 5-FU injections are certainly a good treatment option for keloids. Surgical excision of the keloid scar with silicone sheeting and post-operative kenalog and/ or 5-FU injections can also be successful. However, the problem with this scenario is that chest and extremity scars tend to heal poorly almost as a rule and if you formed a keloid previously, there is a chance that scar revision might not help or make the situation worse.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloid treatment options

There are various treatment options for keloids, and none are guaranteed, nor will the skin ever look perfectly normal...sad, but true. Cortisone injections can be quite effective, as can 5-FU injections. Excision of keloids is sometimes useful, and radiation can be useful in other cases. Topical remedies or silicone sheets tend to be of minimal benefit. Have a dermatologist review the best options for your keloids based on your skin type, thickness and location.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon