I Have a Keloid on my Breast That Hurts and Get Sore at Times, What Should I do?

I had my keloids removed once and it cam back larger all three of them, on on my butt, one on my vagina and one on my breast. I do not have a picture and no way to make such. They have become very painful and I am at a lost as what to do

Keloids on the chest and breast

+1

I treat many keloids on the chest and breast and believe these are very amenable to treatment with IIT and laser.

Treating keloids

+1

There are various treatments available for keloids, but the most effective in most cases is to have  cortisone injected into the keloid, which may need to be repeated monthly for a few treatments. The injections typically reduce pain/itch, and swelling of keloids. In some cases, surgical excision of a keloid or laser may be considered. Creams are of minimal benefit. Make sure to have your dermatologist assess the keloids for your best treatment options.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Keloid Scars May Respond Well To A Variety of Treatments

+1

Keloid scars, which represent an exuberant proliferation and ove abundance of abnormal fibrous collagen, unlike other kinds of scars, typically project upwards and spread out beyond the confines of the original wound (whether traumatic, surgical, or inflammatory) sites. Because these kinds of scars form in people with an inherited tendency, they tend to recur at the same site or even come back larger after attempted surgical or destructive removal.

A good first line treatment is to inject keloids with intralesional corticosteroids, in an attempt to shrink them. Keloids treated successfully in the is fashion become flat, atlhough an ivory colored scar flush with the skin surface typically results. Most people, especially those suffering not only from the unsightly nature of the scar, but from other symptoms, such as redness, itching, tenderness or pain, will often find relief from this approach.

When lower doses are not successful, higher concentrations may be tried and other agents, such as 5-fluorouracil added to the injection mixture in an attempt to shrink the keloid. Sometimes, the keloid may need to be frozen with liquid nitrogen prior to injection therapy in order to soften it enough to permit thorough permeation of the injected materials.

Other times, the upwardly projecting portion of the keloid may be sculpted off the site to debulk the area and then the site may be subsequently injected. Still other times, a prescription medication, imiquimod, may be recommended for home use to suppress keloid reformation between in-office treatments.  

Nelson Lee Novick, MD