Do I Have Keloid or Hypertrophic Scar?

I had major surgery about 11 months ago. A tumor was removed from my pancreas. At the beginning, the scar looked normal, but 2 months after, I started noticing it getting bigger and thicker. It's much bigger now (see picture) than what it was 4 months ago. Can you tell me if its a hypertrophic or a keloid scar? How can I get rid of this? I'm really frustrated because I hate it and I can't wear 2-piece bathing suits anymore. Any anwsers will be appreciated.

This is a keloid

+3

this should not be cut out, or it will get bigger. you need to perform KTP laser or PDL laser, steroid and 5-fluorouracil injections. those will bring it down and begin to soften it. if that fails, then radiation may be needed but is doubtful. here is a short video on my thoughts about which is which.

best,

sml

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improving a scar on the chest with scar ointment

+2

Technically a keloid scar as it is raised above the plane of the skin. I would apply a scar ointment such as Scar-Stick and massage in daily.  In addition, PDL and TAC injections will also help the scar. 

Scar revision will work great as you have an inflamed scar that demands immediate attention.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS