Is This Scar from my Navel Piercing a Keloid?

I'm wondering because I want to get it repierced but first, I want to know if it's a keloid or just hypertrophic scar so I can proceed to find methods to help minimize its size.

Belly button scar revision

+1

This is a hypertrophic scar from a navel piercing and I would recommend surgical excision and resuture for this scar.

Treatment no different for Keloid vs. Hypertrophic Scar

+1

Keloid is exuberant proliferation of scar tissue beyond the original border of incision or trauma vs. hypertrophic scar involves thickened scar tissue that stays within the periphery of inciting injury. The treatment however is exactly the same. You should seek a board-certified dermatologist to consider intralesional steroid injection, prescription for imiquimod (Aldara), and possibly silicone gel occlusion.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon