Is this a keloid or hypertrophic scar on head? (Photo)

I have a ear to ear scar on my head due to frontal nasal bone fracture about a year ago. It's about 10 inches long and slightly raised and purplish color. What would be the best option to threat the scar and hopefully get hair transplant to cover the area? Any suggestion will be helpful. Thank you doctors.

Scar on Scalp Post Trauma

+1
The scar appears flat but discolored.  If the color bothers you, you can do pulsed dye laser or Excel V laser treatments to flatten/soften the scar and return it to skin color.  However, it appears wide and only scar revision can reduce the size of the scar.  Hair transplants may not be successful into scarred areas, but you should seek an expert opinion on that.  Dr. Robin Unger in New York is the best hair transplant surgeon I know.  Medical tattooing can be done to change the color.  I would avoid any steroid injections into the area, as they may make the area thinner and atrophied.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer

Is this a keloid or hypertrophic scar on head?

+1
Your scalp scar is flat but very wide. I definitely wouldn't call this a keloid. Injection treatments are most likely not indicated because the scar is relatively flat. Options for removal of the scar include scar revision which will remove the entire scar and replace it with a finer surgical scar. You could also consider medical grade tattoo to camouflage the color and simulate hair. Hair transplants might also be an option though placing grafts into scar tissue can yield unpredictable graft survival due to a diminished blood supply. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Plato's Scar Serum for thick scars on the scalp

+1
Scalp scars can be complicated and hypertrophic. Treatment should begin early to include topical treatment (Plato's Scar Serum applied twice daily) and IIT. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS