Keloid After Tummy Tuck?

Hello, ive have my sx back in june 2012 -tummy tuck. I now have a keloid scar in my belly button. I went back to the hospital i got the sx done, they suggested steroids n mayb laser. Is it possible just to do a new belly button? I feel like my surgeon peeled my scab to early n this is what caused this ugly keloid scar so depressing :( Plz help any info is gladly appreciated :)

Keloid after a tummy tuck

+2

Thank you for your question.  A keloid is a scar tumor and can grow quite large.  Many times it is really a Hyperthrophic scar and responds very well to steroid injections and pressure treatment.  At times a re-excision of the scar can be helpful.  Good luck

Web reference: Http://www.sanfranciscocosmetic-surgery.com

Keloid After Tummy Tuck

+2

Thank you for your question. Injections with steroids are the "gold standard" for treating keloids, which is not to say that they always work, but they are usually the best starting point. If this fails, it is possible to re-do the navel, but a recurrence of the keloid is quite possible, so this is rarely the best first treatment. 

The main factor is keloid formation is genetic. Removal of a scab is not likely a contributing factor. 

Do follow up with your surgeon.

Keloids Benefit From Steroid Injection

+2

Thank you for your question. Steroid injections are a reasonable treatment at this time.  Lasers are still experimental for the treatment of keloids.  It is reccommended that you wait at least one year prior to any scar revision procedure.  Your keloid was not caused by your surgeon removing a scab, it is due to your body's natural healing ability.  While it is an undesireable result, it is not completely preventable.  Discuss this matter further with your surgeon so that you can initiate the appropriate treatment at the earliest possible time. Good Luck! 

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Keloid of belly button

+1

Any re-operation over a keloid will only make the keloid worse because it is triggered by trauma. Silicone sheeting and scar massage may be better. The peeled scab does not have anything to do with keloid. A keloid is your own body overproducing scar tissue past the boundries of the incision.

Keloid Scar Treatment after Tummy Tuck

+1

I would recommend excision of the scar with steroid injection at the time of excision followed by q 6 week injections x 2 if appropriate.  I would wait until a full year's time to assess the scar. 

Excision with radiation holds the best cure rates, but the radiation therapy is expensive. 

In addition, make sure that your doctor has diagnosed you with a keloid scar and not a hypertrophic scar.  They have different character, treatments, and response rates, although there is overlap. 

Good luck.