Keloid After Piercings?

I developed a keloid after an ear piercing a few years back. Now I want a lip piercing, and I'd like to know, what are my chances of developing another keloid?

Piercing scar

+1

Anyone can develop keloids. If you have a keloid, there is a finite risk of getting another one. I would follow up with a plastic surgeon if you are to get another piercing.

High risk of recurrence of lip keloid with history of ear keloid

+1

Unfortunately, you may be asking for trouble. The risk of getting another unsightly keloid in a very visible area such as the lips is substantial. You should aim to avoid all surgeries, particularly those that may be elective, such as lip piercing.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon