Will Keeping my Rhinoplasty Cast on Longer Than the Average Week Help with Swelling?

say about 2 weeks or possibly more.... I am willing to keep it on a long period of time to reduce swelling as much as possible

Post Rhinoplasty Swelling will not Dissipate sooner with Extended Cast Time

+2

Dear Jag 1991,

Keeping your Rhinoplasty splint on longer will not reduce the overall swelling. I remove the splint at seven days post operative. I do not believe that taping and leaving the splint on for extended time will reduce the swelling. Once the splint or tape is removed the swelling may appear to increase a bit for the first week however this dissipates quickly and you should already be enjoying your new nose. The majority of the swelling 70% dissipates in the first three months and the final 30% takes an entire year. I hope this is helpful and there are many cautions to take post surgery to help reduce swelling. Reduce strenuous exercise, heat exposure and sun, sleep elevated and watch your sodium intake. I tell my patients to walk around the grocery store on the outside and never go in an aisle this typically will provide fresh foods and less preservatives and sodium. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Keeping splint longer usually does not help and is not necessary

+1

I usually keep the splint on the patient's nose for one week after the rhinoplasty surgery. The splint gets removed and I apply steri- strips on the top of the nose’s skin for a few days. Keeping the external splint longer will not decrease the amount of the residual swelling. Every patient heals differently, but in general the swelling will diminish within 3 first months of your recovery. It is important to keep your head elevated while sleeping to avoid additional swelling.   Taking the anti-inflammatory medication can also help to reduce it. Unfortunately swelling is a natural part of the healing process and will go away with time. You need to focus on the getting better so you can enjoy your new nose.  The full recovery time after the rhinoplasty  takes  up to one year.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

+1

Certainly the splint does apply some compression and help with swelling initially in the first week. However, I also do not feel leaving it on for another two weeks will keep all of your swelling down. Swelling can occur for the first year. I do believe in taping in certain areas like in the supratip region when trying to encourage a good supratip break. More than creating that break, I feel it helps prevent fluid build up in the supra tip area that can then become scar tissue and blunt the break in that area. If you use your splint longer, then you can not get your face wet at all and I do not think using it longer will make any difference. You will swell more when it is removed, but that will go away in the first few months. Stay away from strenuous exercise for at least 6 weeks and no contact sports or threatening activity where you might be hit in the nose.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Rhinoplasty cast

+1

I usually leave a rhinoplasty cast on for about one week. I do not think that leaving it on for two weeks offers any advantage.

Wearing Your Rhinoplasty Cast Longer Than Average Will Not Help Reduce Swelling

+1

The rhinoplasty splint is meant to hold the nasal bones in place and not to reduce swelling. Your swelling is going to resolve when your swelling is going to resolve, regardless of how long you wear your cast. Since the broken nasal bones have set pretty well at a week, we usually remove the cast at that time. Wearing the splint longer will not make a difference as far as the swelling is concerned.Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty splint is little help after one week

+1
If more was better some of us might do it, however after one week the rhinoplasty splint will not have any benefit. Time alone will reduce the residual swelling. Once the splint is off the only thing needed on the nasal bridge is sunscreen.

Keeping Nasal Cast On For Over A Week After Rhinoplasty

+1

Keeping your nasal cast and splints on for more than a week after the surgery will not reduce swelling and/or enhance the end results of your rhinoplasty.

Therefore, I recommend that you follow your surgeon's instructions and have a great post-op ambulation after your cast removal at about a week after the surgery.

Making sure that you do not engage in strenuous exercise, sleep at a 30 degrees inclined angle, control your daily sodium intake and protect your nose from accidental traumas.

Nature will take its course and your swelling will fluctuates until it resolves completely at about 12 months after your surgery; patience is required to win the race.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS