Are There More Risks for a Former Smoker?

I'm 29 and want to have a breast lift with implants within the next few months. I am a former smoker (smoked for 9years) I quit 6 years ago. During my research I read somewhere that a former smoker may be more prone to complications then someone who has never smoked. Is this true? If so how much more of a risk is there for me?

Former Smoker Having Breast Lift

+2

If you quit smoking 6 years ago, you should not be at significantly increased risk for complications over a non-smoker with a breast lift.  Good luck.

Are there more risks for a former smoker?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! The issue with nicotine is that it also acts as a vasoconstrictor, clamping down of blood vessels. Blood supply is always of great concern during any surgical procedure, but especially in such a procedure as a mastopexy where the viability of the nipple-areolar complex is obviously important. Since the vascularity to the area is already tenuous since it will be raised by cutting around the area, maximizing blood flow to the tissue is critical.

Typically, we recommend at least 6 weeks of smoking cessation prior to and at least 6 weeks after any surgical procedure. The longer, the better. Nicotine always increases the risk for infection, nipple necrosis, poor scarring, and wound complications, as well as other health consequences including blood clots. The anesthesia risk is greater with general anesthesia as well as pulmonary issues/lung infections postoperatively. I would discuss this with your surgeon prior to your procedure.  At 6 years, well-known studies have shown that you health risks are on par with non-smokers for health-related issues.  Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast lft in a Former Smoker

+1

Congratulations for quiting 6 years ago. There should be no increased risk for you when compared to a non smoker.

Smoker

+1

The medical jargon is that if you have quit within 3-4 weeks before surgery you are minimizing your risk. There are really so few healing problems with augmentation that this should be of no significance especially since the last smoke was 6 years ago. However the damage from cigarettes is permanent and you are not at the baseline level if you had never smoked 

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Risks for former smokers

+1

Are there more risks for former smokers with breast lift? The risks of wound healing complications are present in former smokers, but only if they quit less than a month. If you quit more than 6 months, then your risk is probably the same as a non smoker. This is because the body is amazing at repairing itself if given the right conditions.

I make my patients quit smoking 4 weeks before and 4 weeks after surgery and for the most part have had no problems with wound healing complications.

James Motlagh, MD
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Former Smoker and Risk for Breast Augmentation and Breast Lift

+1

Having quit 6 years before the surgery, your risks of problems with the breast augmentation and breast lift should be close to that of an individual who has never smoked.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts and breast augmentations each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Remote smoking history impact on breast surgery risk?

+1

You quit smoking over 6 years ago. Bravo! You really should not have any problems. And definitely stay away from second-hand smoke too!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Smoking and Breast Surgery

+1

After 6 years, I would not worry at all.  I have my breast lift patients quit smoking one month before surgery.  Straightforward augment patients quit one week prior.  This has led to minimal increased risk in my patients.

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Remote Smoker and Risks with Breast Lifting?

+1

Unfortunately, there is no way to quantitate exactly how much more risk (if any) you are given your remote smoking history. It is very likely, given that you have been “nicotine free” for 6 years that you will be  considered to have almost the same risk as a non-smoker,  when it comes to complications around the time of breast lifting surgery.

Smoking and surgery

+1

Great job.  Smoking and surgery doesn't mix well at all, You have stopped for a significant  period of time.  You really should have no problems.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD