Are There More Risks for a Former Smoker?

I'm 29 and want to have a breast lift with implants within the next few months. I am a former smoker (smoked for 9years) I quit 6 years ago. During my research I read somewhere that a former smoker may be more prone to complications then someone who has never smoked. Is this true? If so how much more of a risk is there for me?

Former Smoker Having Breast Lift

+2

If you quit smoking 6 years ago, you should not be at significantly increased risk for complications over a non-smoker with a breast lift.  Good luck.

Breast lft in a Former Smoker

+1

Congratulations for quiting 6 years ago. There should be no increased risk for you when compared to a non smoker.

Smoker

+1

The medical jargon is that if you have quit within 3-4 weeks before surgery you are minimizing your risk. There are really so few healing problems with augmentation that this should be of no significance especially since the last smoke was 6 years ago. However the damage from cigarettes is permanent and you are not at the baseline level if you had never smoked 

Risks for former smokers

+1

Are there more risks for former smokers with breast lift? The risks of wound healing complications are present in former smokers, but only if they quit less than a month. If you quit more than 6 months, then your risk is probably the same as a non smoker. This is because the body is amazing at repairing itself if given the right conditions.

I make my patients quit smoking 4 weeks before and 4 weeks after surgery and for the most part have had no problems with wound healing complications.

Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Former Smoker and Risk for Breast Augmentation and Breast Lift

+1

Having quit 6 years before the surgery, your risks of problems with the breast augmentation and breast lift should be close to that of an individual who has never smoked.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts and breast augmentations each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Remote smoking history impact on breast surgery risk?

+1

You quit smoking over 6 years ago. Bravo! You really should not have any problems. And definitely stay away from second-hand smoke too!

Web reference: http://www.drshermak.com/breast-surgery-baltimore/breast-lift/

Smoking and Breast Surgery

+1

After 6 years, I would not worry at all.  I have my breast lift patients quit smoking one month before surgery.  Straightforward augment patients quit one week prior.  This has led to minimal increased risk in my patients.

Reading Plastic Surgeon

Remote Smoker and Risks with Breast Lifting?

+1

Unfortunately, there is no way to quantitate exactly how much more risk (if any) you are given your remote smoking history. It is very likely, given that you have been “nicotine free” for 6 years that you will be  considered to have almost the same risk as a non-smoker,  when it comes to complications around the time of breast lifting surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastLift.htm

Smoking and surgery

+1

Great job.  Smoking and surgery doesn't mix well at all, You have stopped for a significant  period of time.  You really should have no problems.

Web reference: http://www.sanfranciscocosmetic-surgery.com/

Smoking and surgery

+1

Congratulations on having quit smoking.  To answer your question, yes smokers and former smokers do have a higher risk of complications following surgery.  This increased risk is primarily related to wound-healing complications since nicotine causes vasoconstriction -- you may see problems like skin necrosis, etc.  However, since it has been over six years since you have quit smoking, your risks should be low.  Definitely, discuss your concerns with your surgeon and good luck!

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon