Why is my BMI the Same After Full TT with Minimal Lipo and Breast Lift/reduction? (photo)

I figured that my BMI would go down after my procedure. I was at 28% before surgery and 4 weeks after its still the same. Not swelling very much. Does it have anything to do with the tissue being swollen? Full TT w/ muscle repair. Lipo outer hip area. Breast lift. Total of 6 pounds of skin, fat and scar tissue was removed from my abdomen. I am pleased with my results so far. My doctor says I am actually above normal for 4 weeks post op which was great news to me. I am 5'2" @ 125 lbs

BMI won't change much after body contouring

+1

Thanks for your question and your photo. Your result looks great. Because body contouring doesn't remove a large quantity of fat and skin, your weight won't change a whole lot. You do probably have a little water weight still on board. I encourage patients to reduce salt and carbohydrates. Also, you are now at a point that you can start exercising some if your surgeon allows it. Congrats!

Four weeks after a mommy makeover (breast reduction and abdominoplasty) swelling will contribute several pounds.

+1

I'm not sure in abdominoplasty in breast reduction will reduce BMI very much in any circumstance. Even though a large amount of breast breast tissue and abdominal skin and fat is removed it is still a small percentage of total body weight. Nevertheless, you should lose a few pounds of water in the next few months.

Why is my BMI the Same After Full TT with Minimal Lipo and Breast Lift/reduction?

+1

Swelling at 4 weeks can be a few pounds.  Your results do look nice at this point.  Patients for various reasons do tend to lose additional weight after tummy tuck in the long run.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

Understand the BMI are ONLY numbers. But to be exact the BMI is a % of fat to body mass in effect. So if you removed a mass of x, that has a degree of fat in that mass . than the new mass would still be the same % as before the operation. You need to change the % fat to the muscle by diet and exercise to change the BMI. A simplest view I know. 

Weight gain after tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for your inquiry and picture, it look like your tummy will be an excellent result.  Despite removing 6 pounds of fat and skin, patients are often heavier after tummy tuck from water weight in swelling.  Your weight and body surface area is how BMI is calculated. This can take 2-3 months before completely shedding.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Swelling At 4 Weeks Postop

+1

Thank you for your question.  At 4 weeks after a combined procedure it is quite common to still be swollen and to have either no change or slight increases in weight.  This can be concerning to patients who watch their weight.  With time as the swelling resolves over 3-4 months your weight should decrease.  You will definately see a change after returing to your routine 6-8 weeks after surgery. All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

BMI change

+1

With only four weeks since surgery, I would not worry about your BMI. In my experience, the BMI only changes with large volume liposuction or a good post op diet. This may take several months. Keep in touch with your surgeon. All the best.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD (retired)

BMI does not change with Tummy tuck or Lipo

+1

Unfortunately, these procedures: breast reduction, tummy tuck, and liposuction are not for weight reduction but for shape changing.  They will have no bearing on your BMI.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Mommy makeover tummy tuck plus breast reduction not for weight loss

+1

A tummy tuck is designed to remove loose skin after pregnancy, tighten separated muscles if necessary, and remove localized fat if needed. Although a breast reduction does remove tissue, the relative weight is not likely to be enough to change body mass index (BMI.) Often during recovery patients can't be as active as normal so a minor and temorary weight gain may paradoxically occur.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tissue edema after surgery accounting for weight increase

+1

After surgery you are still swollen and have a good deal of tissue edema. This accounts for your weight gain.  Give it a few more weeks and this weight will come down.  If you like the results now you will love it in a few more weeks.