Can You Use Decongestants Before Surgery?
- Asked by Kansascurious123 in Kansas
- 11 months ago
I had to postpone my MM it was jan 14th because I had a bad cold and its rescheduled this wed the 23rd, I went to my primary and they gave me amoxicillin and she told me to use mucinex D. Is there an issue of using it before surgery? I left a message with my PS and his nurse called me back and said decongestants were okay but I see some women on here say they were told not to take it..just wondering why? A little freaked the anesthesiologist will tell me I have to reschedule again. Last dose sat
Over the counter cold medication prior to surgery - ones to avoid
The only over the counter cold medications to avoid prior to surgery are ones like sudafed which can effect your blood pressure or heart rate during surgery. If you have any questions about what to take call first. Better safe than sorry.
Timing for your surgery
I would make sure you are free of any cold symptoms before option for your MM surgery. This is elective surgery and there is no need to increase your anesthesia risks. Please talk to your PS and PCP to make sure you are OK to proceed with your surgery in the 23rd. Best of luck.
As long as you are not having any direct airway issues such as wheezing then you are OK. But remember this is elective surgery. It can always be rescheduled
Recent Mommy Makeover Reviews
Mommy Makeover Photos
Decongestants and elective surgery
Use of the decongestant would not be a strong indication for postponing your surgery. It really depends on your other symptoms and the type of anesthesia that you will be having. I use a deep sedation anesthesia for my mommy makeover surgeries instead of genereal anesthesia. There are many benefits to this type of anesthesia, but it does require the airway to be almost completely normal. If your congestion symptoms are signficant, then I would probably delay surgery. But if your symptoms are really mild or you are using a more protected airway type of anesthesia, then you should be fine.
Modest congestion on the tail and of a cold generally is not a contraindication to surgery.
Elective surgery, which all cosmetic surgery is, should be performed with the patient is healthy and not suffering from other conditions. Modest congestion after a cold is usually not a problem for elective mommy makeover. However, it is left to the judgment of the surgeon and anesthesiologist.
Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag.php?ID=20
Can You Use Decongestants Before Surgery?
The decongestant itself should not be much of an issue, but the illness may be. A discussion with the surgeon and if possible the anesthesiologist will be the prime determinant. Doing your procedure without unnecessary added risk is in everyone's interest. All the best.
Decongestants and Mommy Make Over
Thank you for your question about scheduling your Mommy Make Over.
- You should be off antibiotics and have no more cold symptoms,
- Ideally you should be off decongestants, they can cause high blood pressure,
- Before booking surgery, ask to be put in contact with the anesthesiologist - to discuss his/her criteria for anesthesia after a cold They vary.
- Why the concern? Anesthesia too early can lead to pneumonia.
- Then book your Mommy Make-Over. Best wishes. Hope this helps
Decongestants with mommy makeover
The decongestants should not be a big problem, especially if stop them a few days prior to surgery. However, if you are still having a productive cough, then the surgery may need to be rescheduled. You should discuss this with your surgeon and anesthesiologist.
- I do not see a problem with using decongestants
- We do not have patients discontinue decongestant use prior to surgery
- If your blood pressure happens to be elevated slightly, the anesthesiologist can easily manage that
Decongestants should stop before surgery
As long as you have stopped taking the decongestants then you should be okay. They can affect your blood pressure and increase your risk of postoperative hematoma. The real question will be if they feel your respiratory system is compromised. If they feel that your are at increased risk of pneumonia then they will want to postpone things. If your symtpoms are improved then its unlikely they will cancel your surgery. Best of luck!
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.