Revision Facelift -- Do I Need a Specialist?

I have found a surgeon in my region who has proposed a 3rd revision facelift of surgeries done by other surgeons. He is a very experienced, respected cosmetic surgeon and about 1/4 of his practice is facework. He said he has done 2nd facelifts (1st revisions). I believe he has good judgment, advanced skill, multiple techniques, and good hands. Could this possibly make up for lack of extensive FL revision experience?

Revision facelift surgery requires surgical experience

+2

Revision facelift surgery requires greater surgical experience than a primary facelift in order to achieve a natural-looking result with a low complication rate.  A third revision is likely to be more challenging than a first revision. However, if your surgeon is skilled as you describe, that is the most important factor. Looking at your surgeon's portfolio of before-and-after photos can be very helpful, and it is reasonable to ask that your surgeon show you pictures of his work. If you are comfortable with his answers to your questions, that can also be very useful in reaching your decision.

+1

We do quite a bit of revision face lifts.  Some are to correct things and most are because 7-15 years has gone by and patients want a 'tuck'- meaning there was nothing wrong with their original lift.  You may or may not need a third revision, and it sounds as if your surgeon is qualified to do it.

Ramtin Kassir, MD
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

A third revision of the facelift is most unusual and should be performed unexperienced plastic surgeon.

+1

I'm not sure why a third revision of the facelift is needed in your case. Nevertheless, with each operation there or diminishing returns. This should definitely be your last operation should be performed by someone who has a lot of experience with facelifts.

3rd Revision Facelift

+1

I am not sure that there are revision facelift specialists but there are certainly specialists in facelift surgery.

The surgery can be performed by many surgeons well experienced in facelift surgery. But it is the aesthetic vision and what the surgeon does (and not does, for this matter) that will determine the final outcome. There are multiple technical nuances in secondary and definitely tertiary lifts that can make the difference between a great result and a mediocre one. Although there is no firm number, but most experienced facelift surgeons perform in excess of 50 facelifts a year with maybe 10 percent representing secondary surgeries.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision facelift

+1

A good facelift surgeon can do revisions. Seek a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Revision Facelift Surgery

+1

It is absolutely safe to do a revision facelift, but the surgeon needs to know all the tricks.  So, I would stick with someone who works exclusively on the face and often does revisions.  I would look for a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon.  The surgeon must have thorough understanding of the course of the facial nerve, which may have been altered by your previous facelifts. 

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Multiple revision facelifts

+1

This question is easy. You can do multiple revision facelft work..........However the surgeon MUST have experience in this work, MUST feel confident about his approach and your candidacy for the proceedure, MUST be conservative, and above all MUST be honest with you about what your expectations should be. Then and only then should you proceed with the surgery. Revision facelift surgery truly takes experience and the best are those who do it frequently. They are most aware of the changes and problems they are likely to see during surgery. They also know best how to readjust the skin appropriately, how much to do, and when to stop.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift revision #3

+1

Thank you for your question about the surgeon for your 3rd face lift revision.

• Correct analysis of the problem determines if revision succeeds.
  • What in his opinion is the problem, what is the goal, how will he get it?
  • Do you agree with the plan?
  • Is he Board Certified in Plastic or ENT surgery? Training counts.
  • 3 face lift revisions are a lot. Are you confident you need this? Consider a second opinion if you haven't had one. Hope this helps!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Revision facelifts require special expertise

+1

With every facelift, there can be surprises lurking within the anatomy that make depth of experience critical to obtaining the best possible result. With revision facelifts, this is moreso the case than with primaries.

In order to obtain the best results with revision facelifts, a surgeon must have total control over multiple tools within his armamentarium. He must be comfortable in previously operated, scarred, planes, and be able to identify anatomy that is not normal. He must also possess excellent artistic and clinical judgment.

Seek a facelift specialist.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Advice for Finding a Facelift Surgeon?

+1

Sounds like you've done your homework. There always is the lingering question of what a provider's primary focus and true specialty are, especially since it seems many plastic surgeons seem to focus on a particular subset of procedures or body areas these days (breast, body, face, nose...). But it can get a little obsessive- you don't need a revision facelift specialist, but rather someone who is an excellent facelift surgeon. Any remaining questions or doubts you might have regarding your selected plastic surgeon's ability at this point could be dispelled by chatting with a prior patient or two, and making sure you like photos of his facelift work. If you can comfortably check off these last few boxes in your "list", you should do very well. Good luck! -Dr. Capone

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon