I want a flat stomach. Would I be happy with the outcome of an abdominoplasty w/plication and flank lipo? (Photo)

37 years old, 5'4" tall, 185 lbs for 13 yrs, except while pregnant with twins. I hate the rolls above & below my belly button. Lower hangs over my c section scar. I wear a spanx-type garment every day. I want a flat stomach (no indent or roll!) and to keep some curve at my side - avoiding the straight/rectangular/boxy sides I see after some TT's. Can you tell from the pics how much of this fat is behind the stomach muscle? Would this procedure do what I want? Would I get the results I want?

Optimal Tummy Tuck Results Will Need Weight Loss First

+3
A completely flat stomach is not going to come from a full tummy tuck and flank liposuction as your body is right now. It will help tremendously but a completely flat stomach with your body type is not a realistic goal. It would require substantial weight loss and the surgery to make that happen. But you could get rid of the rolls and have more of a one-piece slightly convex stomach shape with tummy tuck surgery as you are right now.

I want a flat stomach. Would I be happy with the outcome of an abdominoplasty w/plication and flank lipo?

+3
No but at the ht vs weight you could lose 30 to 40 pounds to see an effective reduction of the abdominal girth. Than a full TT would be in order... 

Totally right

+2
you have read well about plastic surgeries and you know which procedures will cause a excellent improvement in the shape of your body, you have to consider we are not able to determine how much fat you have behind your muscles in your abdominal cavity unless you have a CT or MRI so you have to be aware that you will get good results and depending on this factor mentioned before you will get a flat stomach. Best Wishes!

Australia Fragoso Baez, MD

Abdominoplasty will fix the rolls

+2
Yes, I do think you can achieve a smooth, flat stomach after abdominoplasty, and not have to wear spanx every day. A photo from the back would help determine how much excess volume you have at the flank region to see if liposuction is a good idea for you. You bring up an important point- that abdominoplasty only corrects the contour of extra-abdominal fat/tissue, not the intra-abdominal fat. It is tough to say how much intra-abdominal fat you have without seeing you in person. Yet the "rolls" you speak of are part of the extra-abdominal component, and tightening this part with abdominoplasty will get a noticable result. Often with twin pregnancy the rectus muscles have widened, so plicating these will also help the contour. I recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a full consultation to go over all of the details.

Anita Patel, MD

Abdominoplasty is a good option, however

+1
Abdominoplasty is a good option, however it would be in your best interest to attempt weight loss before a surgical procedure, patients with a BMI higher than 30 have a significantly increased number of complications mainly higher wound breakdowns (yours is 31.7). Abdominoplasty will eliminate the extra skin and the excess fat located under the removed portion of skin, of course you have extra fatty tissue all over your abdoman and back, liposuction can help, however liposuction is not a way to obtain weight loss.
These surgeries will help but they will not give you a completely flat stomach, and there is no question you have intraabdominal fat, which can not be addressed by these procedures.
Be sure you see board certified plastic surgeons (American Board of Plastic Surgery).
Good Luck

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

You are a good candidate for an abdominoplasty.

+1
Perhaps are not the ideal candidate for an abdominoplasty because of your BMI but you would get a very good result from abdominoplasty aided by liposuction of the waist.

Lateral tension abdominoplasty tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your question. You are a very good candidate for a lateral tension abdominoplasty Tummy tuck in addition to liposuction of the flanks. My patients undergoing this procedure on average lose 15 to 20% of the bodyweight after surgery. You live in the birthplace of lateral tension abdominoplasty. Few surgeons actually do this procedure, please look for a board certified plastic surgeon and have a discussion about this procedure.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Better candidate for an abdominoplasty if you lose 20 pounds

+1
There are four components that need to be addressed with an abdominoplasty, excess skin, excess fat, anterior abdominal wall laxity and intra-abdominal fat.  It appears that you need work on all of these areas. My advise to you would be to lose at least 20 pounds prior to considering an abdominoplasty.  This would help to decrease the intra-abdominal fat.  If you have excess intra-abdominal fat, no matter the technique used to perform an abdominoplasty you will never be as flat as your desire.  Otherwise I believe your goals can be met.  Currently your BMI is 31 a 20 pound weight loss puts you a 28 a much more acceptible weight. 

Flat stomach

+1
you look like the type of person who gains and loses weight in their abdomen predominantly. you do not appear to have any saddle bag issues with your lateral thighs.  this being said the slimmer you get yourself, the more you will lijke your surgical result.  I imagine if I give this advice to 100 women only about ten will do it. lose some weight first then have the abdominoplasty. you will appreciate the result so much more,.

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon