What Breast Implant Size Would You Suggest for my Body Type?

I am 4'9 and weigh around 110 lbs. My shoulders are very broad and I currently wear a 34A. I am considering a breast augmentation and would want to go to a 34C. I am unsure if this would look too top heavy on me. I have a nice size butt, so it might equal out. So I am seeking out your feedback.

Choosing Breast Implants for Your Body Type

+1

Choosing the best breast implant size is an art and a science so pick your plastic surgeon well !
It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape of implant that will fit your body type without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be tough to answer your question. For example your native base width of your breast will determine in many cases the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Additional critical decisions will also be made by your plastic surgeon such as: whether your implants will be above or below your pectoralis muscle. These choices are recommended to you based on the look you desire, the amount of sagging you may have, and other deciding factors. I always find it helpful for patients to bring in photos from my or other plastic surgeons’ websites to illustrate what they would like to look like. I bring these photos to the operating room for reference during surgery so that I have the advantage of “seeing through my patient’s eyes” to achieve their wishes.
I personally order more than one set of implant sizes and use sterile sizers placed in the pocket during surgery to know in advance exactly which implant would work best for you. Software morphing programs can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn't work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts).
My advice is to accept advice from your board certified plastic surgeon after a formal consultation and examination with measurements.. If still confused don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

Toronto BBA

+1

There is no way to guarantee a particular bra size. Bra sizing varies greatly between bra manufacturers and a C in one bra will be a D in another. What matters more than the assigned bra size is the way the implant looks on you. The best option for your body and aesthetic goals can be determined in a thorough implant sizing session.

Implant sizing depends on several factors. One of the most important factors is your breast width. Generally, your surgeon will measure your breast width, and then provide you with a range of implant sizes appropriate for your native breast size. There are more nuances to it than just what I've described, but this approach works for most women.

I usually have my patients bring in a large bra and a tight t-shirt to do sizing. I'll then choose 3-4 implants that I feel are appropriate, and have my patients place them in the bra under the tight t-shirt. My patients can then look in the mirror and get a good sense of what they will look like with the provided implant sizes. My patients like this approach and get a great idea of how they will look.

By using this technique, your surgeon can outline a range of appropriate implant sizes that will be aesthetically pleasing, and you make the final decision.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Smallest Implant with Lift is best alternative

+1

If you are a 34 A then each 100 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  To go to a C you will need 200 cc implants.  I recommend silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral.  They give the most natural look and feel.  It is important they are placed high so they do not make you look heavy.  The best implant is the smallest implant since it will descend slower and has the least complications.  You have not shown any photographs but if you have any drooping then may benefit from a simultaneous lift.  This can be done through a circumareola approach that will allow lifting your breast to increase your upper pole fullness, increase your cleavage, reshape your breast and require minimal implant to achieve the desired goal.  I recommend you undergo a Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizing

+1

This discussion can only be done properly when you are present. Your wishes need to be considered and then your height, weight, chest wall size,anatomy and breast width need to be measured. Only then can a reasonable choice be made.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

The right person to decide the right size of your breast is you

+1

I find it interesting that so many plastic surgeons tell their patients what size breast implant that would be best. I have never picked the size breast implant for any of my patients. I let the patient chose, with in limits, the size that they feel looks best on them. I put the patient in a very stretchy bra, ABCDE, and put different size silicone breast implants and let them chose. I ask them to look at bigger and bigger implants until they say it is too large and then I back the implant size down to 50 and 100 ccs. This can be done over and over again on multiple visits and the patient will almost all ways pick the same size with in 50 ccs. Then when asked what cup size will that be, I tell them there is no such thing as a cup size. I then remind them that what ever bra company they by their bra from will be different from another company. And then I remind them that they are not interested in what size bra they are wearing but what they look like with or with out cloths. Now there is a limitation to this and that is they should not chose implants which have a greater base diameter (the width of the Implant) than the base diameter of their breast. 

Using this method I can't remember the last patient who wanted to be bigger or smaller. They actually get the look the full fills their own body image and not that of their surgeon. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Breast size a little fuller for broad chest and full buttocks to provide hourglass shape.

+1

With broad shoulders and full buttocks, yes, a C cup or even a D cup would probably suit your frame well.  Many of my patients want to be on the border, a sort of C/D size.  The most important factor, I believe, is good communication with your plastic surgeon.  You should look at some before and after photos with your surgeon and show him or her what you prefer.  Many of my patients bring in photos that they have printed off the Internet, or magazine photos.  Measuring systems sound like a good idea, but tend to produce volume estimates that are too small.  Obviously you want to get the size right the first time.  I've attached a section of my website on this topic, including discussing breast size, for your reference.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a breast implant size

+1

Sizing is very much dependent on your examination. Certain measurements such as the width of your chest/breast, skin tone or pliability, skin thickness, etc. will be taken by your plastic surgeon to define the exact implant that matches your body and breast the best. Every patient is concerned about selecting the correct implant size. I would recommend spending adequate time with your board certified plastic surgeon to make sure you are confident and comfortable with your implant size.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Implant size for a petite woman

+1

Thank you for your question. It is impossible to pick an implant size without examining you, but could speak in generalities. The ultimate goal of a breast augmentation should be to create a natural breast that meets your expectations. The cup size should be secondary to achieving a natural appearance. Given the size of your frame at 4'9" tall, staying on the conservative side is probably going to look more proportional and natural.

Try to pick an implant whose width matches the base width of your breast. This will help achieve a natural result. While in your surgeon's office, you can try on different implant sizes to help give you an idea of the final result. As for the final cup size, that will depend on where you buy your bras and how they are fitted.

Best of luck with your inplant choice.

Sincerely,

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Choosing implant size

+1

Without an in person examination, it is impossible to make a reasonable recommendation. When choosing an implant for my patients, I have them try on several different sizes. We put them in their bra and then put a form fitting shirt over it. This gives a pretty good idea of how the implant will look after surgery. When you have a consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, he or she can help you decide what is best for you and will achieve your goals. If you want to try at home, you can put rice in a baggy and place it in your bra and then measure the amount that gives you the appearance you want. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon