Overseas TT?

My husband is in the army and we are stationed in Germany. I'm considering going to the Czech Republic to havea TT done. I've researched the Clinic and the DR's working there, and can not find anything negative about either. I've seen sites that say Czech is the home of Plastic Surgery, but when I talk to friends about going, they look at me a little weird. Is there anything I should be worried about? In the world of plastic surgeons, what's the scoop on having cosmetic procedures performed overseas?

Plastic surgey in the Czech republic

+1

Hi,

Nice to see that you are doing your research on the plastic surgeons and the conditions in this area but quite frankly, YOU CANNOT DO THIS!!!   Even plastic surgeons c annot get accurate information on your chances there.

Do youself a favor.  Check out the plastic surgeons in Germany or USA and make your life safe.

There is no good to come from trying to save some money by going to someplace that has a reputation that you CANNOT determine is safe.

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck --- overseas-- military

+1

Dear Amanda,  there are always good an bad surgeons in every country. Besides the usual questions you would ask if you would consider surgery in the States, make sure there is really no language barrier, that all your questions have been answered. In addition, you should also think about the case ( we hope everything goes smoothly) if you are experiencing a postoperative complication or for example a prolonged postoperative course. Who will be available and reachable for you? One of the main issue, will also be the legal side. There are also differences regards safety and facility regulations between the single countries inEuropa, which can differ from the regulations in the States. So be informed and aware before you make the decision. If it is less costly ,it should not go onto the expense of safety and your result.  I would rather wait then a little bit. I hope this helped,
kidn regards,

bianca knoll, md frankfurt,germany

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon

Overseas tummy tuck not a good idea

+1

A tummy tuck is a great operation, but also an operation that has a high percentage of complications, some major and life threatening.  Even if the surgery goes well, who is going to take care of you afterwards?  Especially, if there are major complications and your surgeon is in another country!  You could end up in a hospital in a foreign country with a language barrier, a quality of medicine barrier and who knows what else.

Do your procedure state side with a board certified plastic surgeon when you have plenty of time for recovery and a good support system to help you through the process.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

What wil you do if you have complications

+1

Thank you for the question.  If the price was the same where would you choose to have your tummy tuck performed?  Also, if you have a late complication when you are no longer in Europe what would be your options.  These are probably the most important questions to ask yourself before proceeding.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Overseas cosmetic surgery is usually not a good idea.

+1

There are a number of disadvantages of having surgery in another country.  One of the most important ones is that your surgeon is unavailable to see you in follow-up and look after any problems that develop.  Another is that a number of safety measures that are mandated in the American medical system are not there (including all the safety requirements that American surgery centers and hospitals have to meet to be licensed).  You may have highly competent surgeons, nurses and anesthesia, or maybe not.  Even if you save a few thousand dollars, it is not worth it.  Have your surgery stateside.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Do more research. Don't try to save money.

+1

The United States does not have a monopoly on qualified safe plastic surgeons, but we do have an excellent way to ensure you are choosing a qualified safe surgeon: certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Unfortunately, every country has its own system of credentialing physicians. I suggest you do some more research on the system in the country in which you are choosing to have surgery before having anything done. Ask the army doctors if they can steer you in the right direction. Do not use price as a guide. Understand that travelling to have surgery will leave you without a surgeon at some time after you return home - a very scary position to be in should you have a complication. I agree with your friends.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Overseas TT?

+1

This site if full of questions from patients trying to resolve issues related to overseas surgery. If you have a problem, you will have a tough time finding a local surgeon who is willing to help, and most will charge high (and appropriate) fees to manage another surgeon's complications. I concur with your friends.

Choose wisely.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.