i'm considering having Juviderm for nasolabial lines. How long is downtime?

i'm concerned about the downtime. My appointment is Tuesday morning and I have an event on a Friday evening. Is it likely i will still have swelling? Also is Juviderm the best solution for nasolabial lines?

Juvederm downtime

+1
Most patients return to normal within a couple hours of the procedure. You'll probably experience some swelling, redness, discomfort and possibly bruising during the first few days following the injection, therefore you may be okay by the time your event happens on Friday evening. Most of the bruising and swelling settles down within 3 days. Occasionally, the swelling can last up to one week. Follow your injector's post care instructions to help your recovery.

What to do after your facial injection:
  1. Extra strength Tylenol is usually adequate to manage any discomfort.
  2. Cool, soft, flexible ice packs may be used (or small packs of frozen peas) to keep the swelling down. Place the ice pack on the treated area(s) for 15-20 minutes at a time, 3 or 4 times per day.
  3. Keep your head elevated and use several pillows at night to help diminish the swelling.
  4. You can wash with soap and water, and apply make-up, the day after your injection.
  5. Avoid exercising strenuously, going out into the sun, exposing yourself to cold, or drinking alcohol the day of the treatment.
  6. Most patients can return to work the day after the injection.

Juvederm Downtime

+1

It is not uncommon to experience swelling and possible bruising for about 3-5 days or so. However, I normally suggest to any patient to schedule filler after a special event instead. Especially if it's that soon after. Good Luck.

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Downtime for Nasolabial Folds after Juvederm Treament

+1

If it is pertinent for you not to having bruising, you may want to wait until after the special event. Swelling and bruising varies from person to person, but you can minimize the chances of bruising by stopping all meds and herbs known to effect bleeding, such as, asprin, ibuprophen, fish oil etc. Some mild bruising can be covered with makeup.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm down time

+1

While swelling after having fillers varies amongst patients, it is common to have swelling for approximately 3 days or so. The nasolabial fold area does very well with fillers and some patients do not experience any significant swelling. Please consult with your board certified injector prior to having Juvederm injected.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Juvederm

+1

You may have swelling and bruising by Friday. If it's an important event, you may want to wait.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Should you have filler three days before an event?

+1

First, Juvederm is a great option for filling the nasolabial folds. Second, you will probably have little swelling at the time of your event but you could have bruising. While most people have minimal to no bruising, on occasion bruising can be moderate to severe. If you have a really important event coming up, I will typically recommend waiting. A week, just in case, is often better. I hope this answer is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Downtime

+1

There is no downtime associated with Juvéderm. There may be some redness at the injection site along with some bruising, but these normally resolved within a couple of days and can be covered up with makeup.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Not to worry

+1

Juvederm is an excellent choice for the nasolabial folds due to the properties of this filler. It gives a soft and natural appearance and is a perfect choice in areas that need filling, rather than support. Juvederm is hydrophilic (water loving) and will cause some swelling, especially in the first 24 to 48 hours, but you should expect to be "back to business" by Friday night if your procedure is on Tuesday morning. Just a reminder, though, you should stay away from aspirin, NSAIDs (ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.), and vitamins and supplements that could potentially "thin" your blood (vitamin E, ginkgo biloba, etc.)

Good luck

Tatiana Khrom, MD