Juvederm for Frown Lines

I have a crease not so deep on my forehead between my eyes, I think is called frown line. I only have one, it's visible and I look too serious, it's not deep though. I'm a male and my question is: is Juverdern best to fill it up and make it disappear so I won't look serious anymore? I don't want to use botox but need a filler and will it be enough with one syringe. My crease is 3/4 of an inch. Thanks! Moises

Glabella lines

+1

Glabella frown lines are often best treated with Botox first. I will sometimes use a filler afterwards if the Botox does not improve it enough.

Filler and Botox can both work for glabellar frown lines

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers can help to fill glabellar frown lines, due to years of muscle activity in the area.  One syringe will certainly be enough to help improve lines in this area.

Botox works even better to prevent these lines from worsening and relax the lines currently present.  For best results a combination of Botox and fillers is ideal.

However, you need to see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon in person to have your unique situation evaluated and treated.

Chad L. Prather, MD
Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm smoothing of Frown (Glabellar) Lines

+1

Frown Lines are caused by years of repeated contraction of the undergoing Corrugator muscles which leads to thinning of the overlying fat and skin. In the early states, Botox by itself would smooth such wrinkles but in established wrinkles the lost fat needs to be replaced with a filler to push up and smooth the collapsed wrinkle.

Juvederm is a great filler in this location but it will not last long if Botox is not used as well. Without the Botox the muscle will contract a lot of the Juvederm out of the area reversing a good correction.

Another source of concern is the location. This happens to be a watershed blood supply area where fillers occasionally are related to death and scabbing of the overlying skin. Fillers must be used with care in this area.

Juvederm for Forehead Frown Lines

+1

Hi Moises,

You will likely only need up to 0.2 cc (about 1/4 of a syringe) of Juvederm to fill your glabellar forehead line.  Though you do not wish to have Botox, we have found that the simultaneous use of hyaluronic acid filler (Juvederm or Restylane) with Botox allows much greater effect of the filler.  So much so that even after the Botox has worn off, and the filler should have worn off, the deep furrow in many patients does not return.  It is thought that the collagen stimulation from the filler is more effective when the forehead muscles do not move for a few months.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Botox is a much better treatment for this area

+1

Botox is just as safe, if not safer, than a filler in this area, and tends to work better.  Cost will be comparable for most people.  It will keep the area from creasing when you frown (scowl) but a filler won't, and you will still see a line there when you make that expression.  Botox can also train you not to make the expression and sometimes you can reduce your dose or treat the area less often after you have used Botox for some time.  Sometimes both products need to be used if the line is extremely deep, but yours does not sound as if it is.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm can be used but see an experienced injector

+1

Yes, you can have filler to fill the frown lines but you need to see an experienced injector as the risk is much greater there for something called necrosis (when the blood supply to the area gets cut off).  The injector needs to have vitrase available if injecting in this area to reverse this potential side effect.  Dermatologists with experience using both of these products are who you want to see.  Hope that helps!

Laurie Jacobson, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Filler

+1

See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and discuss all your options. The internet is not a good medium for procedure consultation without a physical exam.