Would Having Juvederm, or Another Filler, Injected into my Upper Cheeks Take Care of These Wrinkles?

I tried Botox to take care of these wrinkles (animated, they only appear when I'm smiling and almost completely vanish when my face is still). I loved what the Botox did for the crows feet on the sides, however I received an injection under each eye that resulted in eye bags whenever I smiled - much worse look than these natural wrinkles. I've read a lot of bad reviews about fillers injected into the tear troughs, would using Juvederm, or some other filler, high on the cheeks correct this?

Radiesse versus Juvederm for Upper Cheek Wrinkles

+4

Botox is quite effective for crows feet wrinkles since it relaxes the muscles which cause them to appear.

Facial wrinkles like crows feet, horizontal forehead lines and frown lines between the brows develop when muscles contract and crease the skin. Lines under the eyes are not really caused by this type of dynamic.So Botox is not suitable for this area.

Successful results can be achieved in the tear trough area using Radiesse. However this largely depends on the skills and experience of the injector. Radiesse is made of tiny particles of a calcium compound which allows it to provide structural support along with the ability to fill wrinkles.

Results are usually very natural looking and last up to a year. Furthermore, Radiesse is white. Juvederm on the other hand is subject to the Tyndall effect, giving a bluish hue under the skin.

This is a phenomenon in physics where the color blue is seen as light passes through a clear substance. The Tyndall effect will not occur with Radiesse.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

+3

Fillers add volume and even using a thin filler, like Restylane or  Juvederm, would aesthetically alter and widen that section of the cheek making the face appear broad.  Conservative use of a neurotoxin (Botox, Duysport or Xeomin) would soften the lines in this are.

Treatment of upper cheek wrinkles.

+3

Thank you for your photos and questions.  This can be a rather tricky area to treat. The treatment for this area is the use of botox NOT fillers.  I always tell patients that we are trying to obtain a well rested look after treatment.  It is normal to have some wrinkles when we smile (just look at any young adult) and if we become to aggressive in trying to remove every last wrinkle around the eyes using botox  it can result in a rather plastic unnatural look.  It also can cause a lowering of the lower eyelid and the  "eye bags" that you have already experienced.  

Best of luck. 

Donald M. Brown M.D.  F.A.C.S.

Board certified American Board of Plastic Surgery

Board certified American Board of Otolaryngology

Donald M. Brown, MD

Crows feet solution.

+3

Botox is what you need not a filler to eliminate the deep crows feet. Fillers are for lines when you are not moving your face.  Remember smiling is the most important sign of beauty and it is cheap.  

Treatment of wrinkles in the upper cheeks

+2

I see the best results for treating wrinkles in this area by using a deeper filler such as Radiesse or Sculptra. They are injected deeper, beneath the skin, and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect. When properly injected, this will lead to a subtle and very natural-looking result.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Injecting filler into cheecks can give a natual looking lift and a youthful appearance.

+2

Injecting filler into the cheeks can give a very natural looking lift and more youthful shape to the face. In fact, that is one area that is universally liked by my patients.  If the wrinkles there are due to loss of volume (think of a balloon with some of the air let out) then it will help smooth out the wrinkles. If these wrinkles are due to smile lines that extend down the cheek, then they may not be completely erased because they originate from muscle movement which will continue even after the filler.

Amy Forman Taub, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for smile lines

+2

its a tricky area to completely correct with Botox. the muscles that make u smile are inserted nearby and if you do botox on that area the muscles that make u smile can get temporarily paralyzed and it can affect your smile and the symmetry of you face. my treatmnt of choice for these lines is Fraxel laser which is safe and effective and can be repeated if needed

Misbah Khan, MD

Lateral cheek lines

+2

Sometimes lateral cheek lines can be difficult to treat because this is often bunching of the skin with smiling. Crow's feet can be treated with Botox/Dysport.  If you chase the lines down the cheek you may get changes in your smile by deactivating some of the zygomaticus muscle.  Filler sometimes helps with filling the cheek and thus the loose skin.  A face lift may improve this area as well.

More Botox please

+2

What you need to understand is that when lines are present on animation and not at rest, eliminating the animation is the answer.  That is a Botox thing, not a filler thing.  Just avoid any under the eye itself and have the entire lateral orbital rim done.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Wrinkles around eyes

+2

It's hard to tell from this picture because it doesn't show your entire facial structure. But based on the photo, you could use more botox around the eyes (it's possible to not see these wrinkles at all). You may need filler, like Juvederm, into the tear troughs, but you may also need something in your cheeks to rebuild your facial structure. So you need to be evaluated not in a piecemeal way, but in a holistic way.

Gary Goldenberg, MD