Will Juvederm XC work for my hollow eyes?

A cosmetic dr. told me that the first thing he noticed about me was my hollow eyes. He suggested a syringe of Juvederm XC under each eye. Is this reasonable? Will it eliminate my tired looking, hollow eyes?

Juvederm for Hollow Eyes

+1

If injected in the right candidate, correctly, Juvederm XC can improve the hollowness one perceives under their eyes. The hollowness one typically sees is a result of volume depletion and descent of cheek fat pads, and a more natural enhancement can be achieved by correctly addressing the underlying problem.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane or Belotero Balance for tear toughs

+1

I have found that Juvederm cuses swelling when used for filling out the "under eye" hollow or tear trough. This is because it is hydrophilic and absorbs water after it is injected. To use it there requires under-correction and waiting to see how it does. the other two fillers do not absorb water to the same degree and thus are more precise in that area. Expect bruising and make sure your injector has a lot of experience in that very tricky area. In other areas such as lips and nasolabial folds I prefer Juvederm because the water absorbing gives my patients a 20% boost.

Manuel M. Pena, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

My filler choice for under the eyes

+1

I have used all three fillers under the eye - Juvederm, Restylane, and Belatero - Belatero Balance is by far the best filler i have used in this area -- and it has been a "game changer" for me and my patients - little to no edema, low risk of Tyndall effect, and a beautiful well blended filler for this area.

Elizabeth F. Callahan, MD
Sarasota Dermatologist

+1
I prefer using Restylane to the tear troughs but yes, this will help with the any deep line or hollowness around the eyes.

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Best eyelid fillers

+1

Fillers are a great option to fill under eye hollows or dark circles. The best fillers to use are Restylane and Belotero, since safe, effective and reversible. Juvederm is okay but it tends to cause more long-term swelling. Any other filler type is not recommended.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

The Juvederm XC is not my first choice for HA fillers in the tear trough deformity area. I would use Belotero Balance first..

Tiredness under eyes

+1

The "tired look" under the eyes is a common issue patients may have. Juvederm or other hyaluronic acid products can help. I have also used Radiesse for such treatment. All work well. However, I like to stay conservative when using these and try not to correct too much. The hyaluronic acids can absorb surrounding water and cause an increase in volume over time. This can lead to a small bump (or fullness) forming in the area treated. Which can leave irregular contours. You may eventually need 2 syringes, but in my experience I would start with at most 1syringe (split between both side) and then possibly ad more in 2-4 weeks. The outcome can bet better controlled. Be sure to have someone with significant experience when getting these injections. They can be tricky.

Steven Svehlak, MD

+1

I think Juvederm works nicely in this area. You will find many injectors who will prefer to use Restylane due to concerns that Juvederm draws in too much water. I have not known this to be the case. For undereye treatments seek a highly experienced Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist who knows the anatomy of the area and does alot of undereye injections. This area is more challenging than the typical nasolabial fold injection and should not be entrusted to an amateur. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filling eye hollows should be with blunt cannulas and Restylane

+1

Blunt cannulas have significantly improved the filling in this area. Much less downtime-swelling/bruising, and removes the risk almost entirely of intravascular injection and blindness. Juvederm is not my choice because of issues with prolonged swelling/edema. Restylane has less affinity for water and therefore less edema. Look throughout realself and you will find people with the edema problem and it is almost always Juvederm. Most important is finding an experienced injector to avoid complications and get a great result. I do this at least 5 times a day. Steve Weiner, Facial Plastic Surgeon, Destin, Panama City, Fl

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Hollow eyes

+1

It looks like you have hollowing in your under eye area and could benefit from filler injections to the lower eyelids and upper cheeks. I prefer Restylane to Juvederm under the eyes as it attracts less water and tends not to swell as much, but this is my own preference. Make sure to find a doctor that is experienced with this procedure.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon