Juvederm Vs. Restylane for Lips?

I recently had a poor experience with extreme swelling and pocketing using 1 syringe of Juvederm in the upper lip. I will be trying a partial syringe of Restylane for my second attempt and am wondering if the reaction might be better and less severe than the Juvederm. I am extremely wary in trying this again. Has anyone seen a comparison in reactions?

Juvederm or Restylane in the Lips?

+3

Both Juvederm and Restylane are great products in the lips.  I have used both forms of hyaluronic acid filler in the lips frequently over the years with a very high satisfaction rate on both products.  The experience of the injector is far more important than the brand name in this situation.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm vs. Restylane for Lips

+2

Hi Kiki.  It's not likely that the issue you experienced the first time you had your lips injected would have been different with Restylane.  Restylane and Juvederm are very similar products and are used in the same way in the lips.  It is more likely related to how the product was injected rather than the fact that it was Restylane vs. Juvederm.  

Doesn't hurt to try the Restylane.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Juvederm vs Restylane for lips

+2

Sorry to hear about your experiences. Post injection swelling is common but extreme swelling is rare and not typically expected. Both Juvederm and Restylane have been used on the lips. Most of the time it's physician's preference and experiences that dictate which product to use. There are subtle differences between the two products but most of the time your outcome and experiences are primarily affected by your injecting physician. 

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Juvederm vs Restylane for lips

+2

Both of these are hyaluronic acid fillers. I use both products in the lips, though I often prefer Restylane directly in the lips, and Juvederm more around the lips for the border and fine lines. Remember that with any injectables the greatest variable isn't necessarily the product, but the injector! Seek the best injector you can.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Possibly Lidocaine

+1

Was it Juvederm with Lidocaine? Sometimes people have a reaction to the lidocaine preservative. Try using a product that doesn't have the lidocaine already mixed and you could possibly have better results.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Juvederm Vs. Restylane for Lips?

+1

Either filler is appropriate for the lips, and either can cause bruising and swelling.  Lumpiness of the filler is easy to control.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Juvederm vs. Restylane for lip enhancement: Does it make a difference?

+1

Kiki, I'm sorry to hear you had trouble with Juvederm hyaluronic acid filler for your upper lip. Some injectors feel that Juvederm swells more than Restylane, which is not a bad thing, but should be prepared for. This swelling is in correlation both to the trauma of the procedure, and the literal amount of filler used. If you use a tiny bit, it can only swell so much. If an entire 1cc syringe was put into your upper lip, that is a lot of material which can swell more than you might expect, since the Juvederm acts like a sponge itself, absorbing your tissue's fluid into itself.

Restylane also does both of these things to cause swelling, but it expands less after injection, so the amount of swelling may be somewhat more predictable. I think if you are seeing an experienced, cautious, conservative, board-certified core cosmetic specialty physician (dermatology, plastic surgery, ENT/facial plastic surgery, oculoplastic surgery), then Restylane is worth trying.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Which filler for lips

+1

Both juvederm and restylane are hyaluronic acid fillers which are very safe and effective in plumping up the skin, reducing lines and wrinkles, and plumping up the lips. I use both fillers in the lips with great success and rarely any problems; I have a slight preference in the lips for Juvederm as I think it is a little bit softer for a more natural lip feel. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Best lip fillers

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane, or Belotero are the best options for augmenting lips. The differences between each of them are particle size, total concentration, and the extent of cross linking. Please remember, your results depend upon the skill and experience of your physician injector. Belotero is the newest product and tends to be more forgiving when used for lip injections so I would recommend trying it next. You can follow the video link below to see me injecting my wife’s lips with Restylane!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm for lips

+1

You may have swelling from both Juvederm and Restylane.  Seek an experienced injector.  If you have no medical contraindications, taking an antihistamine 2 hours before your injections may decrease the swelling.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist