Will Getting More Juvederm Voluma over Time Slow Its Absorption ?

Juvederm Voluma (two syringes) was injected in my checks to increase volume so as to decrease the laugh lines. I am 28 and am very athletic. The results I saw initially were amazing. After a month the lines were back. I went back to the clinic and was told over time my body will absorb it slower so that the time between injections will increase. I was also told to stick with this product since I am getting great results initially. I have only had it injected the one time.

Juvederm: Frequency of injections and longevity of product

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

There is scientific literature indicating that shorter durations between injection sessions of Juvederm will actually increase the longevity of the product. Hence, in my practice, I encourage our clients to come in on a regular schedule especially during the early stages of treatment. In my hands, this has proven to provide patients with long-lasting results. Additionally, if you are undergoing regular treatments with Juvederm, you can expect an element of neo-collagenization and hence the volumization of the specific area treated will maintain some permanence. 

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Voluma XC is a fantastic injectable for filling and lifting the mid face

+1
Voluma XC is a fantastic dermal filler for lifting and replacing volume of the mid face.  Once injected, any filler will start to be metabolized slowly by the body.  Repeated injections will lead to the longevity of the results due to replenishing of the pool of product leading to the effect.  Voluma is the longest lasting HA filler and gives a very natural appearing result without an overfilled or swollen look.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

With Hyaluronic acid products, you get more with each injection

+1

I don’t have experience with Juvederm Voluma because it’s not yet available in this country, but with all these hyaluronic acid products, generally you get more of a result with each injection, and it tends to last longer. For example, if you’ve had Restylane in your cheeks and you like the results, we will often do a second injection in 3 months. With each repeat injection the duration is longer because less of the volume will go away than what you saw with the initial injection. If having Juvederm voluma works in a similar way, then you should get a better result with the second and third injections.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Repeat injections of juvaderm can produce longer lasting results

+1

Repeat injections of juvaderm can produce longer lasting results. This is probably due to the increased collagen formation caused by stretching the tissue and by repeated insults of the skin with the injecting needle.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Juvederm and Restylane can last longer with subsequent treatments

+1

We have seen with numerous patients that they maintain longer and longer effectiveness of their Juvederm or Restylane's filler so that they may still exhibit significant, but partial, correction after a year or year and a half.  They may need less volume in subsequent treatments.  This does not happen for all patients though.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Will adding more Juvederm to previous injections make it last longer

+1

In general Juvederm dissolves over one year.  In highly athletic people, hyaluronic acid fillers and botox seem to degrade faster, although no official studies have been done yet.

The duration of correction should be the same for each dose of Juvederm, meaning if the first dose lasts for a year and second dose is given at 6 months after first, the second should last 6 months past the first.  However a smaller amount of the filler is usually needed if the second correction is done before the first one degrades.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Will Getting More Juvederm Voluma over Time Slow Its Absorption

+1

I think you needed 4 syringes to see longer lasting improvement. Best to discuss with the injector. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Juviderm and filler absorption.

+1

The initial swelling recedes in a few weeks but the bulk of the Juviderm remains for up to 1 year. It is better to go slowly than to overcorrect this. I personally like Radiesse for depressions of the crease and Juviderm if it is only a line.

Adding filler (Juvederm) over time helps maintain steady results

+1

In response to the poster who inquires about needing less Juvederm over time: the explanation you were given by the injector is partially correct... you may need less over time.

First of all, the results should last longer than one month. The initial results you had may be due to swelling, so you may need more injected.

Adding more filler before the original filler is completely dissolved is okay... it's like adding more gas to the tank before the tank is completely empty.... It won't make the original gas last longer, but you'll go farther because you've added more.

Some fillers do work by stimulating collagen where they are placed. This is called fibrogenesis. HA fillers like Juvederm have some evidence that they may do this, but probably not as much as other fillers such as Sculptra or Radiesse.

So, it is true that you may need less over time, but not very likely.

Chad L. Prather, MD
Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon

Repeat treatments with Juvéderm Voluma® add to what is left behind

+1

When you are treated with Juvéderm Voluma® the cosmetic benefit remains very stable, usually for about a year in my experience. Then, as your body starts to resorb the Juvéderm Voluma®, it becomes time for another treatment, often between 12-18 months. At that point, there is still some Juvéderm Voluma® left under the skin, and perhaps some collagen which was stimulated by the Juvéderm Voluma® treatment.

When you have another Juvéderm Voluma® treatment in the same area, say at 12-18 months, it is common to enjoy a high degree of aesthetic improvement because the new Juvéderm Voluma® is being laid down in an area where there is some residual Juvéderm Voluma® from the previous treatment.

Kevin C. Smith, MD
Niagara Falls Dermatologic Surgeon