How is Juvederm Voluma Different from Sculptra?

I have been considering getting Sculptra for quite a while now and just heard about a new product, Juvederm Voluma. Both are supposed to last longer than traditional fillers such as Restylane, which appeals to me. Can you explain the difference between Sculptra and Juvederm Voluma? Thanks!

Sculptra versus Voluma

+1
Sculptra is a liquid based injection which stimulates the body to produce its own collagen thereby creating volume in the face.  Voluma is a newer hyaluronic acid gel which was designed to be injected into the mid-face and provide immediate volume replacement.  Sculptra has extremely natural  results because it allows your body to produce its own collagen gradually.  Please find a board certified Dermatologist who has a great deal of experience in cosmetics and facial injections for the best result.

Biostimulatory vs. replacement fillers

+1

Juvederm Voluma is a hyaluronic acid (like Restylane, Juvederm and Belotero) which has cross-linking that allows it to last longer than any of the other hyaluronic acids (HA). It also has an elastic modulus that allows it to "lift" tissue - and will be FDA approved specifically for volumization, while the other HAs are approved for dermal filling (skin). It provides volume instantly and is slowly degraded by the body over the course of 2 years or more.

Sculptra is biostimulatory, meaning it promotes new collagen formation from your body. Instead of creating volume physically it stimulates your own skin to produce it, and thus is a gradual process. Both Sculptra and Juvederm Voluma will produce longer lasting results than the fillers on the market. Obtaining great results, as with any product, will also depend on choosing the right doctor.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Juvederm voluma not yet approved and not available

+1

Juvederm volume is not yet FDA approved in the United States and is not available for injection currently. It is a filler that is supposed to be injected deeply to create lift and volume. I imagine it will be used similarly to Sculptra in a "liquid facelift" way but I don't know a whole lot about it since it is not available and I also don't know how much it will cost. Given that it is a hyaluronic filler it will not be as pliable as sculptra and maybe not ideal in some of the areas where we use sculptra like the jawline and lateral cheeks. I would think it will be a great filler for the cheek area. 

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Difference between Juvederm Voluma and Sculptra

+1

As of this date, Juvederm Voluma is not available in the US - but we hear it's coming soon.

The two products work very differently.

Sculptra is a stimulator of collagen so the effects you get are from your own body's response as opposed to the filler itself. Results are long lasting since they are your own collagen.

Juvederm Voluma is a denser formulation of the Juvederm fillers and the projected longevity is more than that of Restylane or the current Juvederm(s). Exactly how long any filler will last depends on how your body reacts.

Once Juvederm Voluma is available and used in practices in the US, we'll be able to give a fairly realistic estimate of how long it actually lasts.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist