Had Juvederm to upper lip 4 weeks ago. Swelling above lip still not gone down. Is it possible filler could move above the lip?

I had Juvederm lip fillers to upper lip 4 and a half weeks ago, after two weeks I was swollen on both sides above my top lip and lips were asymmetrical.My practitioner said she didn't feel it was filler above my lip and put more juvederm in the right side to even my lips out.2 1/2 weeks later still swollen above lip. Its more prominent when I smile. Is it possible for the filler to move above lip area? advice would be very welcome, I panicking.

Juvederm to upper lip.

+1
Thank you for your question. It is possible to remove the area of filler you do not like. If the removal creates asymmetry you may have to use some product to compensate.

Filler swelling

+1
Although it is less likely for filler to migrate up to a higher point (it is more likely for it to migrate down with gravity) it is possible.  If the filler you received is indeed Juvederm you can ask your practitioner to remove the migrated or excess Juvederm with hyaluronidase.  This is an enzyme that dissolves the hyaluronic acid based filler of which Juvederm is one.  Be aware that there is a small risk of allergy with the enzyme so you should be with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon that is aware of these risks and how to treat them if it happens.  Hope this is helpful.

Jennifer Janiga, MD
Reno Dermatologic Surgeon