Juvederm Ultra Varies from Each Patient?

I was wanting to have a more solid answer as the internet gets so confusing. I have read Juvederm Lasting anywhere from 2 months to 4 years. Some say it still swells 4 years later, then others say it can't be there after a year. This is all very confusing. Does it ever completely go even? Say for example a healthy patient between 30-45 has one syringe injected well into NL lines, then how long would it really last until its completely dissolved? Could there really be swelling 4 years later?

Juvederm Ultra Longevity Varies from Each Patient?

+2

I tend to counsel patients that they can expect about nine months, give or take, in the lips, nasolabial folds and cheeks. In the undereye area hyaluronic acid based fillers can last over one year in some cases. I have personally never seen an hyaluronic acid filler last longer than 18 months and I would have a hard time believing that swelling from Juvederm lasted four years after treatment. That could be a person's perception but the science certainly doesn't support it. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long does Juvederm Ultra last?

+2

The FDA approval states Juvederm lasts "Up to 1 year" But you must understand that each person's experience is different because of their metabolism, the location injected and the volume injected makes a difference too. So on average it lasts 6 months to a year.  Areas with a lot of movement like nasal labial folds may break down sooner than areas with less movement like cheeks and tear troughs. In these areas I have seen Juvederm last for years.  Does it ever go completely away? It makes sense it would eventually, but it would be difficult to tell you exactly when.. If your fear is that you won't like it, just remember there is an enzyme to dissolve it and it works immediately.  As far a swelling, the only area that I have seen that's been an issue is tear troughs. That's an area with very thin skin and Juvederm is a humectant so it pulls moisture into itself and expands.  So if you get too much in that area, or too superficially it can look puffy or swollen. In this area, Juvederm can last for years so if you are not happy you remove it. Nasal labial folds are not usually a problem. Juvederm Ultra Plus is probably what you want for your nasal labial folds as it is thicker and gives more lift.  Ultra is much softer so good for fine lines or where a subtle correction is needed.   

Sam Naficy, MD

Stick with a reputable site like RealSelf for these answers...

+1

people can post anything they want on the internet and the general consumer can't distinguish between real and fantasy...for practical purposes a person treated with one syringe of Juvederm into the nasolabial creases can count on the product's effects being gone in 12-18 months and probably sooner...but some can last longer in certain people...just won't cause swelling 4 years later...now if its injected too high in the skin and in clumps, well that may be a different story...but an injection of hyaluronidase corrects the problem within days...

Ken Landow, MD

Juvederm Duration

+1

Juvederm lasts from about 6 to 12 months - maybe 6 or so in the lips and 12 in the nasolabial folds.

Juvederm longevity varies between patients

+1

Every person metabolizes fillers like Juvederm, restylane and radiesse, and Botox at different rates. The metabolism is dependent on you, and the area injected, and how many times it has been previously treated. Juvederm is approved and scientifically studied to last "up to 1 year"....in certain areas like the tear trough, cheek bones, nose, or even laugh lines/nasolabial folds, it can sometimes last 1 year, while other areas of increased movement like the lips may only last 3-6 months. That said, I do have some patients that have had 18-24 months of improvement, and the very rare patient who expresses benefit for even longer. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Ultra

+1

In my practice I get varying statements from patients regarding the length of time fillers are evident in the areas of concern.  Typically, as I am sure you have read, the hyaluronic acid fillers (HA’s) such as Juvederm or Restylane typically last in the nasolabial folds approximately 6-12 months depending on the patient.  HA naturally occurs in our skin however it is being injected in large concentrations into an area that it would not necessarily be present.  The body simply breaks down and absorbs the product until the wrinkle comes back.  I too have heard individuals tell me that it may last much longer (years) but I doubt that it is the product and instead some kind of scar or other process that has left something that can be felt in the treatment area.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

The longevity of fillers depends on where they are placed

+1

This can be confusing!  I have just deleted my original 4 paragraph answer and am answering this question in bullet form.  Here we go:

• In general, Juvederm, Restylane, Radiesse will take a year to be completely absorbed
  • At 6 months, 1/2 of the filler is gone and patients may notice the effects starting to decrease
  • The effects of the filler vary by area (shorter in the lips, longer under the eyes)
  • Juvederm tends to swell more than other fillers, it absorbs water
  • I have seen Juvederm last 2 years (this can be good or bad)
  • If filler is injected intradermally (very close to the surface) in the NL lines, it can last longer than a year

Good luck finding information!

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long does Juvederm last

+1

I agree with the other postings on here. I know the internet is insanely confusing when it comes to postings about cosmetic procedures (as well as many other things, quite frankly!), so I appreciate your question. According to the FDA trials, and the company that makes Juvederm (Allergan), the product lasts "up to one year". Remember that this is an average for all people and all injected areas! So it depends on the person, the placement of the product (location and depth), and how much product is used. I have never, ever seen Juvederm last up to four years. I've seen 18 months, max, and that's been in less than 2% of my patients (and I have injected about 5,000 syringes of Juvederm and was involved in the initial FDA studies).

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Longevity of Juvederm

+1

The longevity of Juvederm can vary a bit from patient to patient and on the location of where it is placed on the face.  It tends to last longer in areas of little movement, such as under the eyes.  It tends to last the shortest in areas with a lot of movement, such as around the mouth.  In the eye area, I have seen it last for more than a year.  I have never seen or heard of it lasting for four years or even two for that matter.  In the nasolabial area, I would expect it to definitely last for less than a year.  Typically it might be six to nine months.  And normally after it fades away, the area would look the same as it did before the injection.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon