Juvederm Ultra Plus for Tear Trough?

I am considering having my tear trough area filled as I have deep hollows. My Dr says he would use Juvederm Ultra Plus. I have done some research and Juvederm Ultra Plus seems to be very thick? I don't want my undereye area to stick out and be "boddy" just as smooth and natural looking as possible!

Juvederm Ultra Plus is not my choice for the tear trough

+1

In general, I find Juvederm products to be too hydrophilic for predictable tear trough treatment. Using Restylane and a cannula technique, I fill 4-5 tear trough patients per day, and have excellent predictability.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Ultra Plus for Tear Troughs??

+1

It is my opinion that Juvederm is not the best product for the tear troughs because it is thicker.  Restylane or Belotero are a better choice because they are softer and lay smoother under thin skin such as tear troughs

Sam Naficy, MD

Best filler for the tear trough

+1

I find the best filler for the tear trough to be Restylane.  In general, Restylane is a great filler to improve the following areas:

1) Tear trough
2) Marionette lines
3) Nasolabial folds

I do not use using Juvederm Ultra Plus for the tear trough because I feel it is too watery and can swell more than the other fillers. Overall, it depends on the preference of the physician and you may find that one may prefer one filler over another for a certain area. Thank you and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Tear Troughs

+1

My preference is for Restylane under the tear troughs approximately 1/2 syringe under each eye for a total of 1 syringe.  Restylane is a bit of a firmer filler over Juvederm whereas Juvederm is softer and better for areas like the lips, and lower face.  Juvederm Ultra Plus would seem to be too thick to use in the tear troughs in my opinion.  Being that one of my goals when filling the tear troughs is to build up the orbital rim using a deep fill method, having the firmer Restylane makes this easier to accomplish.  As an aside, we have started to use Belotero Balance in combination with the deep Restylane along the orbital rim.  We inject it in small volumes just subcutaneously as an added fix for some of the superficial lines around the eyes.  Belotero can be used here because it does not have the "tyndall effect" or bluish discoloration of other hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane or Juvederm. 

Matthew Elias, DO
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon

Dermal Filler for Tear Trough

+1

While juvederm is possible, my preference is restylane. This is an area with considerable potential for complications so ensure that only an experienced and expert physician injector performs the treatment.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Juvederm for Tear Trough is not preferable to me!

+1

Juvederm Ultra Plus is actually very thin and cross-linked for extra smoothness. However, it is NOT my filler of preference under the eyes. Sometimes Juvederm under the eyes can cause the Tyndall effect, a bluish-whitish translucent tinting, caused by the coloring of the Juvederm itself. Even though the particle size is a bit larger in Restylane, the coloring is much preferable. There are also smaller syringe sizes of Restylane available so it's easy to get one smaller syringe done, if you are worried about overfilling and then add a second if you need more. I will say that most of the time, one syringe of Restylane 1ml is great for under the eyes, but if you wanted, you could do a smaller syringe.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD