Will Juvederm Ultra Improve Jowls?

I am 62 but look late 40's (good genes). Would Juvederm Ultra get rid of my jowls? They are not a major problem but I notice them and would like to improve the look of my jaw line.

Juvederm Ultra to improve jowls

+1

Filling and Sculpting agents when injected skillfully and in the ideal aras can provide support for the mid cheek skin and reduce the appearance of jowls. Juvederm Ultra can be used in this manner.

Issaquah Dermatologic Surgeon

Prefer Radiesse for jowls

+1

There are two types of Juvederm: Ultra and Ultra Plus. Ultra Plus is thicker and slightly more cross linked than Ultra. Both are made of the same substance, called hyaluronic acid, which is a collection of molecules that retain water. Other fillers that are made of hyaluronic acid include: Perlane, Restylane, Prevelle, and Hydrelle, all lasting between 3-9 months. These fillers are generally best for fine lines, and mild to moderate folds of the face. However, for volume replacement, structure, and lifting, as areas like the jowls require, I prefer a more robust product, like Radiesse.

Radiesse, made of calcium hydroxylapatite, is injected into the sub-dermal layer of the skin and can integrate with your bone structure without quickly dissolving. This results in both collagen replacement and collagen stimulation. By returning volume to various areas alongside and underneath sagging skin, as seen in jowls, one can make the areas appear tighter and more lifted. Lastly, because of its thicker consistency, Radiesse sits in mild-deep indentations better [almost as if it were an injectable transplant], and lasts longer. Correction can be seen for up to 18 months.

If you have considered your options and elect to take a non-surgical route, fillers are among your best alternatives.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Jowl Treatment with Fillers

+1

Fillers do not erase jowls. Jowls are caused by facial laxity and sagging and adding of volume will not and cannot lift anything. However - if the jowls are minimal, the addition of filler to the triangular space before and behind the jowl may mask it somewhat (depending on the extent of the jowl). The true cure for jowls is to lift and reposition them in the higher rightful place (IE a Facelift).

Juvederm can help conceal jowls but not get rid of them

+1

A lot of what we do with facial injection is more camouflage than actual removal. For jowls, the best reatment is more often a facelift type procedure, but early jowls can be concealed by adding volume in front of the jowl along the jawline and in the groove from the corner of the mouth toward the jawline (called the "marionette" line). Juvederm Ultra Plus, Perlane, and Radiesse all work well there.

Richard Baxter, MD

Jowls and fillers

+1

A question about jowls and fillers is a good one. I think if the jowls are very mild, the fillers can camouflage the area. Ideally in most cases a lower facelift can improve this are. It does not mean that a filler can not enhance the results.

It can be an option

+1

Volumetric filling with Juvederm in key areas of the prejowl sulcus, as well as some filling anterior to the ear and into the cheek for a lift, can improve jowls. In some patients, I add Botox to the upper neck to reduce the pull down of the platyma muscle, and Botox into the DAO to reduce the mouth's downturn. These are non-surgical options that are excellent for the under-50 patients who are not bad enough for surgery, or they cannot miss work. Results last 6-18 months.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Juvederm can improve jowls

+1

With minimal jowling a filler such as Juvederm, Radiesse or fat transfer can improve the appearance of jowls. The filler is placed in front of the jowl , filling in the depression, thus giving a more rounded contour to the chin. This is great technique in the right individual.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm for Jowls

+1

In most cases, either liposuciton or a lower face lift is indicated for improving jowls. However, in some cases (you need to post a picture for specific advice) fillers can improve the appearance of jowls.

David Shafer, MD