How Long Before Juvederm Bruising and Swelling Subsides?

I had Juvederm 3 days ago under my eyes, and they're still a bit puffy and bruised. How long will it take before they get better?

Bruising and swelling after Juvederm

Typically the swelling and bruising from Juvederm injections under the eye should dissipate with in the first week. I have my patients stop any regular routine of aspirin or vitamins that may interfere with this process and cause prolonged bruising. You should see improvement daily. I also recommend arnica gel or sublingual tablets for those who have high bleeding tendencies. I hope this is helpful to you and wishing you a quick recovery!

The rate at which bruising and swelling subsides varies a great deal from patient to patient after facial shaping with fillers like Juvederm, Perlane and others marketed here in the US.  Ice therapy and Arnica 12-C are recommended to our filler patients as ways to speed this process along.  

Bruising and Swelling after Juvederm to lower eyelid area

If all goes as planned, swelling typically resolves by 1 week and bruising within 10 days.  Arnica can help with bruising; you may also consider a cover-up/makeup for camouflage. 

If you continue to have significant swelling at 2 weeks, I would advise you to consult your treating physician.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Bruising Swelling after Juevederm

This will be worse in the morning than at night.

Manual lymphatic drainage, Ice compresses and arnica ointment and arnica tablets may be helpful.

Typically this resolves within 7 days. Extensive bruising may last longer.

Some patients have temporary mild swelling or bruising after filler

Thank you for your question. Some patients will experience mild swelling and bruising for up to 7 to 10 days, which is considered absolutely normal. To minimize bruising, a homeopathic remedy such as Arnica, which is available at most drug stores, can be applied topically. Ice can also help. If within a few days you are still concerned, you may wish to follow up with the injector. Although individual results will vary and nothing can guarantee that you will have no bruising after a filler injection, before your next treatment, avoid anti-inflammatory drugs (Motrin, Advil, Ibuprofen, etc.), aspirin, vitamin E, ginseng, and ginkgo biloba for 1 week prior to your appointment.

Cory Torgerson
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising and Swelling following Juvederm Injection

Swelling is very common for fillers such as Juvederm. The under eye area is sensitive and quite susceptible to bruising and swelling. Both should diminish within a week.

Swelling should resolve in 7-10 days

It’s unusual for patients to develop significant bruising and swelling following the use of injectable fillers. Never the less this complication may occasionally occur following these injections. Bleeding, bruising and swelling aren’t usually related to the filler material, but instead are related to the injection technique and the patients’ clotting mechanism.
When this situation arises bruising and swelling usually resolve in 7 to 10 days but may takes as long as three weeks to completely resolve. Under these circumstances anything that minimize the inflammatory response might speed the process. Ice and steroid treatments might be helpful for this reason.
If you’ve developed significant swelling and bruising following this procedure, consultation with your surgeon is appropriate. Your surgeon should be able to formulate a plan that addresses these concerns.

Swelling under eyes

The area under the eyes is delicate, and generally swelling and puffiness can last a little longer than other areas. Give it a good two weeks before you judge your results. You should avoid St. John's Wort, gingko bilboa, aspirin and ibuprofen. Don't touch the area that you've had treated and keep your head slightly elevated while sleeping, as well as try arnica supplements. A cold compress can also help.

Juvedem and side effects

Juvederm is a great filler for facial injections.  I generally do not like Juvederm for the delicate area under the eye.  I personally find the product too thick for that area and you will get too puffy and bruised.  I prefer Belotero for the delicate area under the eyes.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with these injections for the best cosmetic results.

Swelling After Juvederm

Most swelling resolves in about three to five days, but it can last up to two weeks. Bruising will also go away in this time. While you can go back to work right after your treatment, your appearance may be affected by swelling. You should also refrain from drinking alcohol, smoking, performing vigorous physical activity or extreme temperatures for the rest of the day to help facilitate your recovery.