How Much Does Juvederm Settle After Injected?

I recently got my lips injected with juvederm and loved how they looked initially. It's been a couple weeks and it seems like the product has settled and that I need more to get my lips back to where I liked them. I'm a little worried that putting more juvederm in will either do they same thing or over fill my lips. What can you tell me about this?

Bigger lips

+2

Injectable fillers such as Juvederm should last longer then a couple of  weeks.  It is important to remember that any injectable placed into the lips will typically cause moderate swelling.  This swelling peaks around 48 hours and will usually take about 7-14 days to completely resolve.  However, it is conceivable that edema lingers for several weeks to a month.   After surgeries like rhinoplasty or face lifts, edema will typically last six months to a year. 

One thing to consider is that it is not the Juvederm wearing off at a couple weeks, but the remainder of the swelling.  The best way to evaluate change would be to compare photographs before and after the procedure. 

Hope this helps.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler for lips

+2

Quite often patients like the way ther lips look just after injections.  Often I will use ust one syringe to start, and patients come back for another several weeks later.

Juvederm in lips

+2

It is not uncommon to prefer the swollen lips that you have the day after injection to the non-swollen lip later. I often have patients that say that they want very little filler in lips and I tell them that I bet that they will be sad after the swelling goes down. They very often come back for more as they realize that those fuller lips were very pretty. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

+2

Juvederm or Restylane for lip augmentation will create some swelling that should subside by the following morning.  No reason you can't have more filler just be certaion the MD doing your lip augmentation understanfds and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty especially the aesthetic proportion of the lips.  

What you see is what you get with Juvederm®.

+1

Juvederm® should not really settle after injection unless it is manipulated by massage.  Juvederm® does recruit fluid to the injection site, like all hyaluronic acid fillers, so some swelling may occur.  This usually subsides within a week.  I suggest you return to your provider to discuss whether more filler is needed to get the results you want. 

Missy Clifton, MD
Bentonville Dermatologist

Juvederm in the Lips

+1

I concur with the technique used by your physician when injecting your lips. Is it normal for the fullness to decrease slightly after placement in your lips; now you can inject more to achieve the desired look without the risk of over-injection.