Is Juvederm Used on Scars ?

Hi there, I had a great experience with Juvederm for my hollow eyes and I had a very old scar which looks like a white fine line caused by a minor childhood burn, the scar is very close to the right nasolabial fold and I am suggested to have Juvederm to smoothe it over as I had a dermabrasion 15 years ago which was unsuccessful, do you think that juvederm could be helpful ? thank you very much in advance for your expertise !!!

Juvederm for improvement of scar appearance

+1

Thank you for your question, Penthea. Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid filler. Juvederm and other similar fillers may be helpful for improving the appearance of a scars of a particular type - depressed scars. With a depressed scar, there is a relative volume deficit compared with the surrounding skin. In those cases, volume may be added underneath the scar to improve the skin surface contour and appearance related to the depression. I would suggest that you seek evaluation by a doctor who is experienced with scar revision techniques. Good luck!

Juvederm Used For Scars

+1

Juvéderm can be used to improve the appearance of certain types of scars -- specificallyscars that are depressed/indented -- not raised.  Juvéderm can be used to elevate the skin and although it is considered a "temporary" filler, it can stimulate you to produce your own collagen.  I've seen excellent results when Juvéderm is used for improving depressed/indented types of scars.

Deborah Sarnoff, MD

Can Juvederm flaten a scar?

+1

No, Juvederm is a filler and as such adds height and volume when injected.  It will not reduce the height, change the color or reduce the width of a healed scar.  It will however fill in the NLF which may make the scar less noticeable.

Juvederm for Scars

+1

Juvederm can be used to nicely fill and lift depressed scars, but not elevated scars.  In your particular case,  if the scar is just white, but not depressed, injecting Juvederm most likely will not help it's appearance.  If the white line is depressed, it may help to lift the scar.  Please be advised, however, that this does not work in all cases.

Karyn Grossman, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar treatment filler restylane juvederm

+1

Some depressed scars can be easily be improved with fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm.  I wrote the chapter on Scars and Scar Revision on textbook of plastic surgery read worldwide by plastic surgeons and fellows in training.  The cost of filler is about $400 or less depending on the amount of material used.

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Juvederm For Scars

+1

If your scar is depressed, Juvederm can be dramatically effective in raising and smoothing the scar. I actually prefer to use Restylane for this purpose as it is a little bit stiffer and will work better. I have also found the improvement can last for many years. Restylane also comes in smaller "touch-up" sized syringes which should be less expensive since it only takes a small amount to treat a scar.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Try the juvederm when using under eyes

+1

Different types of scars will respond differently. A depressed scar that is not bound down would do best with filler. A bound down scar would have to be released from tissue below first. After a burn the skin may be thicker or thinner . If it is thicker you will like it even less after filler. If thinner the filler will even the contour but will not help the white color. Make-up can help that. My suggestion would be that you have the dermatologist put a little under the area when doing your eyes and you see how you like it. It is not permanent so have nothing to lose. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Can fillers be used for scars

+1

Hyaluronic fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane can be used for scars however it depends upon the type of scar  Scars that are purely pigmented in nature will not be improved since these products will not change the color.  Depressed scars specifically ones which are distensible (can be stretched out) are the most amenable to correction. 

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Juvederm injections for scars

+1

Juvederm can be used to lift a depressed scar, however, if the scar is just a white line without any depression, injecting Juvederm under it will not improve it.  In addition, surfaces that are more convex are more visible.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm can be used in depressed scars.

+1

A depressed scar (dimpled or grooved) can be improved with Juvederm.    If the scar is an elevated line, laser resurfacing or nonablative fractional laser treatments will be more effective. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon