Do Juvederm and Restylane Have a Remedy if Results Are Unsatisfactory?

It is my understanding that there is an injectable remedy to reverse the effects of Juvederm and Restylane if a patient is experiencing unsatisfactory results. Is this true? If so, why wouldn't patients who are reporting results such as lumps and ongoing swelling, etc. be advised of a remedial option instead of waiting and suffering?

Restylane and Juvederm can be "training wheels" for fillers

+1

My practice is in the conservative Midwest, where too much can be a bad thing. Also, some of my patients are so new to fillers that even subtle changes can be scary. I often recommend starting out with a gel filler, letting the patient know that it is reversible. Experienced injectors can "read" their patients, and sense how much correction would be appropriate. The enzyme, hyaluronidase, can be titrated to make subtle corrections without losing the whole result.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, there is a medicine to dissolve Restylane/Juvederm/Perlane

+1

If you feel your filler is lumpy then vigorous massage is the first choice. Certainly, in time, it will absorb over time. As a last resort, you can have a enzyme medicine placed in to the area which rapidly dissolves the filler. Your doctor can easily perform this and within a day or two you can see the results. Sometimes you can just dissolve only a small amount of the filler if that is all you need.

Good Luck!

Robert F. Gray, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and Restylane remedy for unsatisfactory results

+1

If Juvederm and Restylane injections are unsatisfactory because of poor placement of over fill, they may be appropriately massaged to decrease the bulk. With time, however,
both Juvederm and Restylane will disappear. Obviously, under correction requires more injection of the filler.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hyaluronidase is effective remedy for undesirable Restylane and Juvederm

+1

Roseburg,

You are correct that there is an enzyme available to essentially dissolve unwanted Hyaluronic acid-type fillers (Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm, etc.). In most practices it is not commonly used, but available.

Undesirable HA filler highlights how important it is for a patient to consider the doctor using the material, more than the material itself. Patients aren't simply purchasing "one cc of filler X for $500," they are purchasing the skill and expertise of the man or woman behind the syringe plunger. Choose carefully.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Unsatisfactory Juvederm and Restylane can immediately be treated with hyaluronidase

+1

As the expert posters have stated here, time is the best healer. But if you need immediate treatment, then the Hyaluronidase injections can help. Regards and Good Luck.

Hyaluronidase for Restylane and Juvederm

+1

Dear Roseburg

They hyaluronidase is an egg-based enzyme so there is a small incidence of allergies. As the Restylane and Juvederm were first being introduced, many dermatologist were very concerned about a potential allergic reaction from the enzyme. However, eye plastic surgeons have a very different experience with hyaluronidase.

This product has been used in ophthalmology for over 20 years mixed with the local anesthesia used for cataract surgery. I don't believe I have ever seen an allergic reaction. As a result, eye plastic surgeons like myself immediately integrated the enzyme with the hyaluronic acid filler product treatment like it was an eraser. So depending on who did your service, you might be told different things about having the product erased with the enzyme. However, at this point all the core specialities that offer hyaluronic acid are pretty comfortable also adjusting over fill with the enzyme.

What you can do if your facial filler is lumpy

+1

Hi Roseburg - Yes, there is a remedy to dissolve the fillers known as hyaluronidase. However, this will get rid of all of the filler and you'll lose any beneficial effects. Instead, we recommend massaging out any lumps to smooth out the filler. This way, you'll maintain the effects and get a smoother feel and appearance. Time also helps, as the filler will slowly dissolve on its own and any significant lumps may improve.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Go to a good dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon for fillers

+1

While there are answers for poorly placed Restylane or Juvederm, the best idea is to go to a reputable surgeon first and foremost. If you do, the results will be much better and you will probably avoid a procedure that is absolutely unnecessary. In 5 years plus of performing these procedures I have NEVER had to remove poorly placed product.

Never.

It's a pretty big deal to remove it and not all that pleasant, so make sure you do your homework and make sure it is the doctor who is injecting and one who is good and not just a johnny come lately or one who is less expensive. It is the only way to avoid these issues. Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Reversing Restylane and Juvederm Results

+1

Having injected alot of the products you have mentioned, I have yet to need to add hyaluronidase to reverse the results.

The main issue is that I can't imagine how unsatisfactory a result has to be to undergo another series of injections to reverse it. I would say at this point that the injection does go away in time and at times if you are not too far out you can massage the area to help improve what you are tryin to fix.

But yes there is a a so called cure.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

It is a judgement call

+1

The use of hyaluronidase to dissolve unwanted Restylane or Juvederm can totally reverse a complication. If it just minor assymetry, time usually works out the swelling. I do use the enzyme when the patient is unhappy with the result. I have found it to work quickly and effectively.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist