Can You Develop Juvederm Resistance After Years of Use?

i used to put Juvaderm in the tears area. it was very good for years, but recently it doesn't work for me like before. i put it now every month. i am 53 years old, and i started putting it in 2003, so do i need to change it now to something else or need maybe face lifting? i am so confused. please help me.

Juvederm resistance

+1

I have heard of Botox resistance but not Juvederm resistance. I do not believe that this exists that product fills the area so how could you develop a resistance to that?

May need more filler

+1

I am not aware of patients becoming immune to fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane. Also, your under eye area may need more product since the first time you had the procedure done.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Juvederm resistance unlikely

+1

Hyaluronic acid is naturally occuring substance in the body. You cant become immune to it.

Probably you need more as the tear trough is becoming deeper. The other possibility is the juvederm is not put in the right place.

There is No such thing as "Juvederm Resistance"

+1

Hyaluronic acid, the component of Juvederm and Restylane is normally found in all our bodies. As such, it is NOT seen as foreign by our bodies and when injected out bodies do not mount an immune response against it.

Furthermore, unlike certain drugs to which our body MAY develop tolerance (or Tachyphylaxis), neither Juvederm or Restylane elicit such reactions because they are not drugs but a space filling, water pulling agent.

You need to make sure you are being injected with real not counterfeit fillers and that your deformity has not worsened to the point when a surgical procedure MAY be a better alternative.

Juvederm filler for eyelids

+1

I am not aware of patients becoming "immune" to the effect of injected fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm. It is possible that your skin has aged since your first treatment and the tear trough is deeper requiring more product. In fact, studies have shown that repeat filling can create more production of your own collagen as a response to the treatment and many patients notice that they can space out their treatments further apart.

Ronald Shelton, MD

As you age, you may need more

+1

It is hard to make a specific recommendation, but you never become resistent to fillers, it may just be that it requires more for correction, or a deeper placement of the filler is needed, or perhaps a product change. I often combine Sculptra with Restylane and Juvederm for older patients and find that often does the trick. As to whether it is time to move up to surgery, I would discuss that with your doctor. I always feel filler is still needed, because if you lift alone, you will look tighter but not necessarily younger.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Juvederm resistance

+1

I do not believe you can develop resistance as it is purely a sugar molecule which goes mostly un-recognized by your immune system.  However, as aging continues and skin elasticity worsens, more product more often may be required.  However, with subsequent injections scar tissue from the act of injecting can result in less product needed each time.  I would also be concerned about the method of injection as this area can be very complex and requires much experience.

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist