Juvederm or Radiesse for Temporary Scar Filler?

Hello! Needing some advice regarding a depressed scar on the side of chin. I would like to start off with a temporary filler and see how the results are first before doing anything more permanent.

Today, I had two consultations. One doc suggested Juvederm Ultra and the other suggested Radiesse. Which one would be better for a depressed scar? Need help! Thanks!

Depressed Scars

+1
Juvederm is a good option to go with first as results may be reversed with a hyaluronidase treatment.

Restylane or radiesse

+1

In a scar, either one may be fine but if you do not like the result, the restylane can be dissolved fairly easily.

Filler to raise a depressed acne scar

+1

When treating depressed scars, especially when they are small in diameter, using hyaluronic acid gives an advantage that Radiesse doesn't, specifically, if you are unhappy with the result, hyaluronidase can be injected to remove the Restylane or Juvederm, but Radiesse would have to be removed surgically. There are times though that the latter two fillers could create a bluish color of the skin and this might happen if more of it needs to be injected, especially superficially, to raise the scar further. If the scar is wide and deep, Radiesse might be more effective .

Ronald Shelton, MD

Filler for scars

+1

I like to use Perlane or Juvederm Ultra Plus to treat scar depressions if a deeper laser treatment is not an option. The use of Radiesse will give you a longer result but if you are worried about outcome the H.A. can be dissolved if you do not like the results.

Lee Robinson, MD - RETIRED
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar Correction with Fillers

+1

I have used all, Juvederm, Radiesse and Restylane. It just depends on what we are looking at. They all work well as long as the scar is released before injecting the filler.

If I had to choose one filler, I would choose Radiesse because of it properties.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Depressed Scar on Chin Treatment...Subcision and Radiesse

+1

Hi Madison,

Subcision of the scar and then the use of Radiesse gives very good results with depressed scars. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Try scar revision for depressed scar

+1

With depressed scar why not try scar revision as a permanent solution.

If not, then use Juvederm first, it can be reversed if you do not like it. Radiesse lasts longer and cannot be reversed.

Juvederm vs. Radiesse for filling a scar

+1

Either would work. I would probably choose Radiesse as I tend to use it more for depressed scars and the depressed areas commonly on either side of the chin caused by aging. Depending on how much scar tissue you have, the filler may not be able to really mimic what a surgical scar revision can do.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Lifting a Depressed Scar

+1

I think you are going about it the right way.

For the scar to be lifted, its tethering inferior attachments ("roots") need to be divided (SUBCISION) and a filler placed. If the choice is between Juvederm or Radiesse, I would pick Radiesse. Another option is Perlane. These are thicker formulations which would resists a downward retraction of the released scar.

Good Luck.

Radiesse would be my first choice as a scar filler

+1

Because Radiesse is thicker and stays where you but it I find it works better on scars. Juvederm is a great product because is so smooth and goes in so easily, but this also makes it less than ideal for raising a depressed scar as the material will diffuse out around the tight scar and not lift it as well. Hope this helps.

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon