Does Juvederm Affect Pregnancy?

I recently had a 1/2 syringe of Juvederm injected into my smile lines. I do not plan on becoming pregnant at anytime in the near future but my husband and I might try in another 6 months or so. Is it safe or should we hold off?

Juvederm and Pregnancy

+1

The truth is that we don't know what affect, if any fillers have on pregnancy.  Furthermore, I can assure you that nobody is planning that study.  However, if you are not actively trying to conceive and if you are not currently pregnant, you can feel pretty safe about Juvederm.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and pregnancy

+1

If you are not actively trying to get pregnant , it should be no problem having fillers placed.  There are no studies suggesting fillers can cause problems with pregnancy although I would not tempt fate if you are trying now.

Juvederm and pregnancy

+1

I am not aware of any studies that confirm or refute the safety of Juvederm during pregnancy, but the fact that it is made of a substance that is naturally found in the connective tissue suggests that it is highly unlikely to cause any problems. The safest thing to do, however, would be to wait 9 months to 1 year after your injections before trying to get pregnant.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Only One Situation Where Juviderm Could Prevent Pregnancy, Otherwise Very Safe

+1

Hi Mia,

Juvederm is hyaluronic acid, a natural substance found in the human body. It should not have any effect on pregnancy or on the baby. That having been said, there is never a guarantee for a complication free pregnancy. Complications can occur but would be coincidental to the Juvederm injections.

The only situation where Juvederm would affect pregnancy is when it is overdone (especially in the lips and cheeks). Some women have such a frighteningly scary and unnatural appearance that prospective mates are scared away, the overdone Juvederm acting as a form of "birth control".

All kidding aside, enjoy your 1/2 syringe of Juvederm that is in your smile lines, keep smiling, and good luck with your future family.

Be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Wait 9 months if you want to be safest.

+1

Hi! I personally do not use fillers on women who are pregnant or breast feeding or who might be pregnant. But the risk must be very low.

The Juvederm should be metabolized by 9 months.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Juvederm is safe, but specific studies have not been done for pregnant patients.

+1

Thanks for your question.

Juvederm is hyaluronic acid, a component of your normal dermal collagen. There are currently no contraindications to using Juvederm during pregnancy and there are no systemic effects that have been noted except for the rare theoretical possibility of allergies. Specifically, the FDA states that the safety of Juvederm for pregnant or breastfeeding patients has not been established. This means that there have been no formal studies to document its safety profile for this specific patient subset.

In clinical practice, however, Juvederm is widely regarding to be very safe and there is no hesitancy to use it for pregnant or breastfeeding patients. There haven't been any cases of dangerous outcomes during pregnancy. I would not be too worried about any complications and would feel confident in the safety of juvederm for you.

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist