Any Juvederm Permanent Effects?

My doctor injected juvederm filler into my nose tip today (1 year after my rhinoplasty), and I must say that I am satisfied with the results. He told me that the filler will last a year and a half, and also told me to come and see him in 5 months time for another injection. My question is, are there any permanent effects of juvederm, because I am very satisfied with my nose now, and I wouldn't want it to go to the previous state? Should I ask him for a permanent filler next time? Thank You!

Permanent filler instead of Juvederm ?

+1

Juvederm or Restylane - both Hyaluronic acid based fillers do stay longer than expected sometimes up to three years especially at the nasal or lower eyelids/upper cheek areas to fill in "indents" dark grooves as these are areas that do not move as often (theoretically) and therefore are not subjected to "stresses" of constant shear stress and stretch stress as other areas on the face that are more animated.  I do not suggest ever using any "permanent" filler to any area as none of the permanent fillers, and some have been around since the 50s as liquid silicone - as they have never been approved as safe for injections in the face or body as liquid forms - by the FDA.  Whereas the hyaluronic acid based fillers may be used safely to these areas as off-label use, they will last longer than expected with good results and easily removed or dissolved by hyaluronidase if necessary.  So keep with your original plan with your doctor and follow up.  

West Hollywood Plastic Surgeon

Effects of Juvederm Permanent?

+1

Sometimes results last longer because the body doesn't absorb it as fast, for example, maybe lasting up to twelve months in the lips. But no, Juvederm is not permanent and should not leave behind any permanent effects either; it is a temporary injection that should wear away in the normal time frame. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm in nose tip, any Juvederm permanent effects?

+1

No, Juvederm is not permanent, will not have permanent effects as it is eventually broken down and reabsorbed into the body.  The effects, however, could last a relatively long time in the tip of the nose.  As others have noted in their responses to your question, Juvederm gives a natural look and feel in the skin - your satisfaction with the results likely speaks to this.  A permanent filler is not the solution - it may not give you the same results as Juvederm, it is much more risky and may itself become a permanent problem for you.

(This answer is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for medical advice.  It is posted for patients’ general education only.  Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider for further evaluation of your individual case.)

Mireille Chae, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Juvederm Not Permanent

+1

Juvederm is a temporary filler. Furthermore, there is no way to know how long it will last. Maybe it will last a year and a half but could be less. There are no guarantees with fillers. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Love my Juvederm, can it be permanent

+1

No, Juvederm isn't permanent and it won't be permanent and this is a good thing. Juvederm is soft and moldable at the beginning, which is why you like how it looks. In an area like a nose tip it will last quite awhile, but it won't be permanent. Permanent fillers in my mind aren't a great idea for almost anyone. What if you don't like it? What if as you age your facial shape changes a bit? What if you need some kind of rhinoplasty or other nose procedure years from now? What happens to the permanent filler then? The truth is we wouldn't know, and so a short term filler, even with an expectancy that it could last up to 18 months or so in your nose, is a much better option. 

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Juvederm permanent effects

+1

Because Juvederm is not a permanent filler, it will not have permanent effects. That said, as a hyaluronic acid, it is moldable and very natural in look and feel, and also a very very safe treatment ; on the off chance that you weren't happy with it, it can be dissolved with an antidote (hyaluronidase). A permanent filler in the nose tip is not advised and few people will do it as it is potentially very risky and there is no antidote if you weren't happy with it. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

NO

+1

Usually, there are no Permanent effects from Juvederm injections. The most common issue is a small bump in the area which can usually be massaged out in the first few days. Otherwise, bruising and swelling are the most common Temporary effects.

Itzhak Nir, MD, FACS