Which is Best for Lip Definition, Juvederm or Restylane?

I would like to have more definition on my lips; I don't want them to look fuller. Which procedure is best for this, Juvederm or Restylane?

Results depend more on injector, less on product

My preference is to use Juvederm because it seems to last longer in most applications. Also, Juvederm tends to feel a little softer in the lips. The results from either product are so close, the difference between products will be small.

425 South Fair Oaks
Pasadena, CA 91105

Which one do i prefer?

I do tend to use Juvederm for the lips since  it has a tendency to attract  water and increase swelling slightly, which is perfect for plumping the lips. Restylane is a great product and is my first choice for delicate areas such as around the eyes. Juvederm should give you the plump, beautiful lips you want and with a little gloss you will be irresistible

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

120 East 56th Street
New York, NY 10022

I personally like and use juvaderm exclusively for lips with beautiful results. if done right, either will work.

Adil Ceydeli, MD
Panama City Plastic Surgeon

1702 Ohio Avenue
Lynn Haven, FL 32444

Restylane for lip definition.

1)  Restylane can be injected more superficially. So it is much safer for lip definition.

2)  For lip augmentation, we use Juvederm, because it lasts longer.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075

Collagen is best for lining the lips ...

and definition. I primarily use Restylane or Juvederm in the lips because these products can last 6-8 months. These 2 hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers are great for fullness, shaping the lip and lip enhancement. However, collagen fillers are still the best for lining the lips which will give nice definition. And this can be done in combination with the HA fillers. For my patients who want to be camera-ready in a few hours, collagen is my choice.

Felix Kuo, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

775 Park Avenue
Huntington, NY 11743

Collagen is best in the lip

Both Juvederm Ultra or Restylane, both of which are hyaluronic acids, are very similar for lip definition. The filler is placed in the border between the red lip and the skin-colored lip adjacent to the border. Very, very rarely, some people get tremendously swollen in the lips (four to five times normal size!) from either Restylane of Juvederm. This can last three days. They also can be used for the fine vertical lines radiating out from the lip into which lipstick starts to “bleed” into when the lines get more pronounced. Most fillers do go away quickly in the lips. Collagen injections don’t last as long as the hyaluronic acids but are excellent for lip definition as it doesn’t create a diffuse swelling and maintains the definition better in some individuals. Most doctors who use collagen today are using human collagen which does not require a skin test unlike the bovine collagen of the past. Your doctor can ascertain which is best for your condition

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Both are safe for the lips, but I prefer to use Restylane

I have found that Restylane lasts longer in the lips than Juvederm does. Juvederm is softer and "runnier" and Restylane offers more support and structure.

With any injectable filler you will notice that your lips look larger, even if the injections are only into the "lipline" or vermillion border. As we age, the entire lip decreases in size and it is important to replace the lost volume in order to see a more defined lip.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

9900 Medlock Bridge Road
John's Creek, GA 30097

Both are good

Both are suitable for the lips, and it all depends on the preference of the injector. However, you may want to consider Volbella, which is specially designed for lip enhancement. This is a Juvederm product.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Juvederm vs. Restylane best for lips? Injector is Key.

Juvederm and Restylane are both hyaluronic acid compounds.  They are both very good for the lips.  The Juvederm tends to last longer.  More important than all of that is who is doing the injecting.   Always best to interview a couple of well trained, experienced injectors.  Do your homework.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

9280 W. Sunset Rd.
Las Vegas, NV 89148

Injector over Product

Either the product can provide good results.  The more important consideration is to find an experienced and expert injector who understands your objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

1501 Forest Hill Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33406