Which is Best for Lip Definition, Juvederm or Restylane?

I would like to have more definition on my lips; I don't want them to look fuller. Which procedure is best for this, Juvederm or Restylane?

Results depend more on injector, less on product

+3

My preference is to use Juvederm because it seems to last longer in most applications. Also, Juvederm tends to feel a little softer in the lips. The results from either product are so close, the difference between products will be small.

Which one do i prefer?

+2

I do tend to use Juvederm for the lips since  it has a tendency to attract  water and increase swelling slightly, which is perfect for plumping the lips. Restylane is a great product and is my first choice for delicate areas such as around the eyes. Juvederm should give you the plump, beautiful lips you want and with a little gloss you will be irresistible

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvaderm

+2

I personally like and use juvaderm exclusively for lips with beautiful results. if done right, either will work.

Adil Ceydeli, MD
Panama City Plastic Surgeon

Restylane for lip definition.

+2

Hi.

1)  Restylane can be injected more superficially. So it is much safer for lip definition.

2)  For lip augmentation, we use Juvederm, because it lasts longer.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Collagen is best for lining the lips ...

+2

and definition. I primarily use Restylane or Juvederm in the lips because these products can last 6-8 months. These 2 hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers are great for fullness, shaping the lip and lip enhancement. However, collagen fillers are still the best for lining the lips which will give nice definition. And this can be done in combination with the HA fillers. For my patients who want to be camera-ready in a few hours, collagen is my choice.

Felix Kuo, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Collagen is best in the lip

+2

Both Juvederm Ultra or Restylane, both of which are hyaluronic acids, are very similar for lip definition. The filler is placed in the border between the red lip and the skin-colored lip adjacent to the border. Very, very rarely, some people get tremendously swollen in the lips (four to five times normal size!) from either Restylane of Juvederm. This can last three days. They also can be used for the fine vertical lines radiating out from the lip into which lipstick starts to “bleed” into when the lines get more pronounced. Most fillers do go away quickly in the lips. Collagen injections don’t last as long as the hyaluronic acids but are excellent for lip definition as it doesn’t create a diffuse swelling and maintains the definition better in some individuals. Most doctors who use collagen today are using human collagen which does not require a skin test unlike the bovine collagen of the past. Your doctor can ascertain which is best for your condition

Ronald Shelton, MD

Both are safe for the lips, but I prefer to use Restylane

+2

I have found that Restylane lasts longer in the lips than Juvederm does. Juvederm is softer and "runnier" and Restylane offers more support and structure.

With any injectable filler you will notice that your lips look larger, even if the injections are only into the "lipline" or vermillion border. As we age, the entire lip decreases in size and it is important to replace the lost volume in order to see a more defined lip.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Either can work well

+2

Either Juvederm or Restylane can work well to improve lip definition in the right hands. My personal preference for the lips is Juvederm because I feel it is a softer product that I can mold a bit better, and is perhaps less likely to leave lumps. But I think either can work well, just pick your injector carefully, make sure they have the right credentials and experience with lip injections in particular.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Juvederm vs. Restylane best for lips? Injector is Key.

+1

Juvederm and Restylane are both hyaluronic acid compounds.  They are both very good for the lips.  The Juvederm tends to last longer.  More important than all of that is who is doing the injecting.   Always best to interview a couple of well trained, experienced injectors.  Do your homework.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Injector over Product

+1

Either the product can provide good results.  The more important consideration is to find an experienced and expert injector who understands your objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS