1 Cc Juvederm Normal Amount for Lips?

I just had my first ever Juvederm injection yesterday in my upper lip. The nurse injected 1 full cc into the upper lip. Is this the recommended amount? I ask because my upper lip is very swollen, too big, and looks abnormal. I am hoping some of this is swelling, and I am trying to be patient. Please tell me what the normal cc amount is for the upper lip, and how much of this is actually swelling. When can I expect the "true" results to show? At this point, I wish I had never done this. I feel I look abnormal.

Juvederm for Lip Enhancement

+2
The concept in lip enhancement in 2014 is to make the lips look natural as we make them more enhanced by adding fillers into lips themselves and into the vermillion on the edges. This can best be accomplished by a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who understand the lip anatomy and have the needed training to be able to make sure that things are done correctly.

One cc of product into the upper lip may be a little too much for some, but fine for others. I usually recommend that we inject smaller amounts into the lips to start with as we can always add more over time if more is needed. Juvederm will have some associated swelling with it, and this can make the lips look even bigger – and the more you put in, the more swollen the lips can get.

I would ice the area for the next couple of days and then I would return to the injector if it does not look normal or natural by the end of the first week.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Always best to be conservative with treatment...

+1

assuming your lips were small but not exceptionally so...then one unit divided between the upper and lower lips is a good way to begin...then more can be added at two week intervals in order to allow you to see the results and decide for yourself if you want more...unless there's something unusual about your lips, keeping symmetry typically means injecting both the upper and lower lips at the same visit...and remember the lower lip should be somewhat larger than the upper...after awhile...maybe 1-2 weeks if you're sill unhappy, the juvederm can be dissolved with an injection of hyaluronidase...and always see a good/reputable provider...

Ken Landow, MD

Juvederm for lips

+1

The amount of Juvederm used for the lips depends on the size and shape of your natural lips and the amount of enhancement you would like.  The swelling can last for a week or so and although your lips may feel too large now, they will be smaller. 

If you feel that your upper lip is still too large once the swelling has resolved, it could be that your lips are not in proportion and you may require Juvederm for your lower lip for balance rather than removing the Juvederm from from your upper lip.  You should be assessed and treated by an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon who can make your lips look natural.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Quantity of lip juvederm injection

+1

I typically inject 1cc of juvederm to cover both upper and lower lip, though some patients do ask for 2 cc/syringes to be injected. Certainly for a first time patient, I would always start with 1 syringe injected as you can always add more. I'd wait 2 weeks, and if things aren't much improved by then, then hyaluronidase can be injected to get rid of any excess swelling/filler. Make sure to have an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon for your future cosmetic treatments to reduce your risk of side effects and suboptimal outcomes.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm volume for lips

+1

Swelling of the lip after Juvederm injection can be quite dramatic, but usually resolves fully by 2 weeks. I would not make any determination on the appearance of the lip until at least 1 week after your injection. 1 syringe of Juvederm is usually sufficient for the upper and lower lips.

If at 2 weeks you still feel your upper lip has too much volume, hyaluronidase injections can be performed to dissolve some of the material.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Appropriate volume for lip augmentation with Juvederm

+1

The appropriate volume will depend on the size and shape of your lips prior to the injection.  It is normal for your lips to swell for the first 2-3 days after an injection.  After that time you can assess whether or not you like the volume of your lips.  If at that time you don't, it's always possible to remove the excess Juvederm with injections of hyaluronidase (Vitrase) to dissolve it.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD