Will Smile Be Altered with Juvederm on Nasolabial Lines?

I'm a 31 yo male considering getting Juvederm for nasolabial lines and oral commissures around the mouth. I've been to my plastic surgeon (who did lower blepharoplasty which I am happy with) and had my consultation, etc.

However, I am concerned, as I am pretty pleased with my smile as it stands, however, these nasolabial lines are what seem to make up the creases of your smile.

I guess my question becomes, if I get the injections done, does your smile or creases that make up your smile then become altered and/or less pronounced? I had forgot to ask this question on my consult. Thank you.

Smile folds and injections

Yes, the smile creases which frame the mouth, upper and lower lip as “parentheses” are made more flat, and thereby less visible, with the use of fillers. But this flattening is noticeable during the rest phase of the smile. During active smiling, the skin will normally still crease slightly in this area.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm in NL folds

Juvederm injected into the nasolabial folds will soften the depth of the folds.  Although your smile should be normal, the crease along the folds that accentuate your smile may be blunted a bit. 

Juvederm to Nasolabial lines

I agree with Dr. Persky that if the nasolabial areas are not over-filled, your smile should not be significantly affected.

Another reason though that the nasolabial smile lines become prominent is the loss of volume in the cheeks with drooping of the cheek skin. Frequently when the cheeks are augmented with filler, significantly less filler needs to be injected to the nasolabial folds themselves.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

They will still be there but they will not be as deep

With augmentation with Juverderm, the nasolabial folds will be reduced but they will not completely go away. When you smile the nasolabial folds will deepen with the action of the muscles but will not be totally gone with juvederm injections. Also juverderm will only last around a year or less. This is a temporary treatment. Also if you don't like the augmentation or what was done there is an enzyme injection that can be administered that will take away some of the juvederm if you desire. Experience is important to make sure that too little or too much is given with these injections.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm in Nasolabial Lines, Will Smile Be Affected?

Hi shadow,

By filling the nasolabial lines, they are less pronounced.  It sounds as if you should have a conservative initial treatment of your nasolabial area, you can always have more placed if desired.  A moderate filling of the area should not drastically affect your smile.

Keep smiling.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon