Juvederm in Malar Area

I had my first Juvederm-treatment nine weeks ago trying to camouflage genetic malar bags. Now I have much more worse malar bags and blue lines in that area. Three weeks after that treatment, another PS tried to correct that. It helped a little bit but he put that filler deeper (right level) and lower. My question is, how long I have to suffer these worse malar bags and how long Juvederm typically lasts in that area? Does it metabolize slower when its too close to skin? Thanks!

Restylane or Juvederm can help or worsen under eyelid bags

+2

Bags underneath the eyelids can worsen if they are fluid/swelling-related when Restylane or Juvederm are injected.  Juvederm seems to contribute to more swelling in this area sometimes.  This swelling has lasted more than a year in some patients.  Hyaluronidase may be used to try to dissolve some of the product.

Bags underneath the eyelids from fat herniation forward, are more readily treated by injecting the deep adjoining folds with fillers.  The tear trough can be injected deeply and this helps even out the area as well.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/restylane/index.html

Juvederm should work for months

+2

The rate of filler degradation is related to where the filler is places. When places into lips where there is a lot of muscular activity, they do not last very long. In the quiet malar area, I would anticipate that the filler may be present for months.

Juvederm lasts 4-6 months

+2

Juvederm (and Restylane) last about 4-6 months. If you are very unhappy with the results, you can have hyaluronidase injected into the area.

Juvederm under the eye

+2

Juvederm and other similar hyaluronic acid fillers may last 8-9 months or longer in this area.

By 9 weeks after injection,  consideration should be given to dissolving some of the product with hyaluronidase enzyme.  This would likely help the blue hue that you mention.

Mark Lucarelli, MD, FACS

Madison, WI

Madison Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm in Malar Area

+2

Juvederm has a tendency to retain water, but this should not be a problem 9 weeks after injections. The Juvederm will last about a year, but injections of hyaluronidase will help to dissolve that material.

Malar bags

+2

Malar bags are caused by edema.  The fillers like juvederm abosrb water and can cause more swelling. The lines you see may be filler injected too superifically.

Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane, Beverly Hills Juvederm, Beverly Hills Radiesse, Beverly Hills Perlane.

+2

Juvederm should last between 4-8 months in that area.  You could call the Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon or Dermatologist that did the Juvederm Injection to see if he/she has suggestions on how to even out the injected material through massage or hyaluronidase injections.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Juvderm in malar Area

+2

Juvederm typically lasts 8 to 12 months. I would definitely give it a wee or two to let the swelling fo down. I would also ice it 5 minutes at a time few times a day over the next one week. If not at all better, I would use hyalurinidase to dissolve it. The rtend is becoming not to use Juvederm in the tear trough area, as it could cause the blue tint. I have switched competely to Restylane in the eye area because of this reason.

Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Juviderm and filler absorption.

+2

Juviderm lasts up to 1 year but you can dissolve it with an injection of Hyaluronidase. You should wait a few weeks to see if the swelling will go down.

Juvederm under the eyes must be placed deeply and conservatively

+2

Although "bags" under the eyes can be improved by injection of Hyaluronic Acid fillers (such as Juvederm), this treatment must be done carefully and conservatively by a trained injector.  The indentation under the bag ("tear trough") is the area that is elevated by the injection, causing the bag itself to be less distinctly defined. The material, when injected, must be placed directly on the bone in a linear fashion, in order to lift the tissues underlying the "trough". Only small amounts of Juvederm should be used, since injected material in this area can last for many months and even years. In your case, the blue streaking under the skin suggests that some of the material might have been placed more superficially than is ideal, resulting in some lumpiness beneath the skin.  Excess hyaluronic acid can be easily removed with injections of Hyaluronidase, the enzyme that normally removes this material, naturally, in your body.  We keep Hyaluronidase in our office for just such occasions. It is a simple and fast treatment, which occasionally needs to be repeated in a few weeks.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon