Juvederm Lumps the Next Day. Should I Massage it?

i had juvederm injected at the lower corners of my mouth for drooping; next day and i have lumps on the inside of my mouth at both injection sites have a followup scheduled for day 5 however will that be too late for the dr to massage? i do not feel comfortable massaging this myself what should i do?

Massage Juvederm

+2

I do my patients massaging prior to their leaving but tell them that they can massage anything BUT THEIR LIPS if they feel a lump or bump. I hope that they never have a lump to massage as I am very careful about this.  However, it is always possible that a little bump  can get past me and massaging it should do no harm. Worse that can happen is you can give yourself a bruise. 

Birmingham Dermatologist

Lumps after Juvederm the next day.. Should I massage?

+1

Typically you get some swelling in the first 24-48 hours after injections of filler. The product will be softer after 3-4 days and the lumps may resolve on their own. Juvederm stays soft and can be massaged up to 2 weeks or longer so I would not recommend massaging it this soon. It's normal to "feel" the product where it was placed,  but if it looks ok, leave it alone and follow up with your doctor as directed. It should be fine

Sam Naficy, MD

Lumps After Juvederm

+1
I would not suggest massaging the lumps yourself, to ensure that you do not upset or alter the area. My suggestion would be to contact your doctor and share with him or her the symptoms you are experiencing, and then coming into their office so that they can examine the lumps and determine a course of action. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Consider little collections of blood as a cause of lumps following Juvederm

+1

Fillers can help correct volume loss around the mouth corners, but hematomas (little collections of blood underneath the skin) are very common after injecting this area. Usually, lumps caused by the Juvederm are present at the time of injection and do not develop the next day. Most injectors feels for lumps after injecting (although small lumps of filler can be missed since there is usually swelling after the procedure), and they make sure that any lumps are smoothed out prior to discharging the patient. Since I always feel for lumps post-injection, when patients call for new lumps, I suspect collections of blood over collections of filler. I do not recommend patients to massage the lumps without seeing me first, and seeing a physician on day 5 after injection is reasonable.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and masssage

+1

I always feel inside my patient's mouth and massage the injected areas to make sure there are no bumps.  Bumps may be felt in the next day or two if bruising occurs.  I advise my patients to not massage any bumps for one week and if they do not resolve to return for me to manage them.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Massaging lumps after Juvederm

+1

Some physicians recommend that patients massage Juvederm after it's been injected; however, I agree with Dr. Schwartz and suggest that all my patients keep their hands away from the injection sites. I don't like patients massaging it as they can move the injectable, or press too hard, causing more problems. The Juvederm can absolutely be adjusted on day 5 if it needs to be by the physician injector. For now, leave the site alone. Ice if you want, but I'd recommend NOT massaging the area.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Lumps from Juvederm injections

+1

After I inject Juvederm into the lower corners of the mouth, I always place one finger inside the mouth and massage the area from both sides so it it smooth and not lumpy. I then advise all my patients to follow a "hands off" approach to the treated areas. Once my patient leaves the office they have been instructed to wash the area gently and to use sunscreens and moisturizing lotions as needed. Juvederm is made of hyaluronic acid, a natural component of the skin. It will often cause immediate swelling which can be made worse by the patient manipulating the area.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

You Can Massage The Lumps Secondary To Injection With Juvederm

+1

Juvederm is made of hyaluranic acid, a naturally occuring substance in the body.  If can create lumps or bumps after injection.  In these instances, massaging the area can help soften or eliminate the lumps or bumps.  If you do not feel comfortable massaging the area yourself, I would call you doctor and follow up as soon as possible.  The earlier you deal with the issue, the better off both you and your doctor will be.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon