Fever Blisters After Juvederm Lip Injections

Are fever blisters a side effect of Juvederm injections on the lip area?

Fever blisters not a Juvederm side effect, but can occur

Cold sores or fever blisters (which are actually herpses simplex infections) are viral in origin. The virus lives along your spinal column and is kept in check by your immune system. But at times of stress or trauma (eg. a filler lip augmentation), the virus can overcome your immune system and produce an outbreak. If you have any history of previous HSV outbreaks, make sure your provider knows about it so that appropriate anti-viral therapy can be initiated.

I hope that helps!

Austin Dermatologist

Any lip pain can trigger outbreak

Fever blisters typically recur because of pain, trauma, change in temperature or any number of other reasons. I always ask my patients if they've ever had an outbreak before I perform any injections of the lips. I'm sure to start them on Valtrex immediately then maintain the Valtrex for up to a week after just to be on the safe side.

Enjoy the look you get from your wrinkle filler

Herpes simplex viral infections (cold sores) are very common around the mouth. They can be brought on by some sort of local "stress". This can include a sunburn, laser treatment, or injection of any filler. It is not the Juvederm that cased this. It is the injection. You can still get Juvederm. Next time have the physician also give you some sort of anti-viral medication.

David Goldberg, MD

Any filler can trigger a recurrent fever blister

Herpes simplex virus is very common. It is usually acquired in childhood. It presents as grouped blisters (vesicles) on or near the lips. Once the infection is acquired, it will re-occur throughout your life. Common triggers are ultraviolet light, stress, illness such as colds, and laser treatments. Filler injections around or into the lips can be a trigger, so if you have this history, I'd advise using Valtrex or Famvir to prevent it.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Juvederm and fever blisters

Any injection of a filler or Botox (R) in the lip area can activate the Herpes Virus if you have had it before. Therefore, oral antiviral prohylaxis with Valcyclovir or Famcyclovir is advisable prior to undergoing the injection. Your doctor can provide you with a prescription in advance of the treatment. It should be continued for several days after the injections are done.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

If you have a previous history of cold sores, this can happen

If patients have a previous history of cold sores or fever blisters, this can occur.  I recommend a medication to fight the virus that cause these outbreaks to be taken before and a few days after the injection.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Fever blisters possible

any kind of stress or trauma to your lips can cause this reaction unfortunately. You should get a prescription for the appropriate antiviral medication which will reduce the time of the blisters. I would be careful about wound care around the blisters as well to ensure no scarring.

Samson Lee, MD

Herpes simplex

Sounds like you hade a flare up of herpes simples. You will need to be treated with Valtrex. In any future injection or skin resurfacing ,you will require a prophylactic treatment as well.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Juvederm and fever blisters or cold sores

Juvederm and other fillers can cause fever blisters in some patients with a history of cold sores. If you have this history, your physician should prescribe Acyclovir or Valtrex to prevent the occurence. If you did not take the medications beforehand, expectant management is warranted.

The cold sores are not inclusive to Juvederm only, but can occur with any treatment to the lips, including microdermabrasion.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Occasionally Yes

Juvederm injections can provoke a recurrence of herpes simplex ( fever blisters). I would ask you physician for Valtrex or Famvir. 

You should also be pre-treated with any future procedures, especially any sort of laser or resurfacing treatments.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist