Whiteheads After Juvederm Lip Injections

I had Juvederm was injected for lip lines 6 - 7 months ago. A few days ago, I noticed whiteheads developing in the same area. is there anything I can do to get rid of them? Why would this happen?

Trauma from the needle

+2

These are more likely milia rather than whiteheads (closed comedones), although it is possible to form either lesion.

What most likely happened is that a small scar formed over the follicular opening (pore). After the scar formation, the keratin in the follicle became impacted, thus forming a tiny keratinaceous cyst.

This is just bad luck and in no way the result of bad technique. I would return to the physician who performed the injections. Milia can be easily eliminated with the use of an #11 scalpel blade and a comedone extractor or gentle forceps.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist