Juvederm lip injections: Lips are bruised and swollen (Photo)

I had juvederm lip injections on Thursday. Today(Sunday) my lips are still painfully sore and skin is chapped and broken on lips. The bruise is also spreading over my face. I can not eat as the pain is too sore and i can not open my mouth fully due to cracked lips at side. Should I seek medical help for antibiotic, or is this normal

Bruised and Swollen after Juvederm

+1
It is not uncommon to get bruising and swelling after Juvederm injections in the lips. Lips are very vascular and have a higher chance of bruising with injections.  I would give your lips 2 weeks for the swelling and bruising to subside and for the product to fully settle.   After the two week mark if you are still having concerns i would recommend going back to your injector for an assessment.

Expectations following Juvederm Injections to Lips

+1
It is not unusual to have persistent bruising in the lips at 4 days post-injection.  This may be contributed to intake of aspiring, Ibuprofen or any other NSAIDS pre-injection.  If you are concerned, I highly recommend you contact the provider who injected so he or she may assess your lips.
Thank you.

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Chapped lips and bruising after Juvederm injection

+1
  • The photo suggests that the injection nicked a small vein in the lips. This caused bruising.
  • It may take several weeks to subside. Warm soaks may speed up the absorption.
  • Chapping suggests an outbreak of cold sores.
  • Call your doctor and discuss a prescription for topical or tablet anti-viral.
  • If it is a cold sore outbreak, it should improve in 24 hours. You may need 5 days or longer of treatment.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD