I had my lips injected today with Juvederm and am wondering if appearance is due to swelling?

I had my lips injected today with juvederm and am wondering if appearance is due to swelling. My lower lip in the corner area on one side is fuller than the other side. I don't know if this could be just swelling or if perhaps I was injected with too much too far into the corner. My question is within 8 hrs after injections would I have a good picture of evenness of my lips or due to swelling is it hard to tell. Thank you.

Too much Juvederm? Wait 24 hours, then freak out (just kidding)

+9

Your question has probably been answered by now as you can usually tell within 24 hours after Juvederm injections whether there is too much (as long as there has not been excessive bleeding or hematoma formation). If there is too much or if it is asymmetric, it can be dissolved with Widase or Vitrase. Just avoid permanent fillers in your lips. Be well.

Dr. P

Expect a lot of swelling after lip injections with juvederm or restylane

+7

For patients undergoing lip injections for the first time, the post-procedure period can be tough because of the amount of swelling seen after the procedure. Interestingly, my own experience and the studies funded by Medicis (makers of Restylane), noted that younger patients (20's to 40's) tended to swell significantly more than older patients (>50). For my patients, I suggest that they get their injections on Fridays so that they have the weekend to recover. This 3 day period is usually sufficient for the swelling to come down. It is definitely not a "lunchtime" treatment. I also tell my patients that their lips will look ridiculously big at first. In addition, asymmetry is often noticed by the patient, but you can have differential swelling after the procedure. The best time for evaluation is seconds after the product is placed and hopefully your injector is skilled enough to achieve that symmetry right off the bat. Sometimes small touchups are necessary

Whatever you do, go to a board-certified MD injector with experience with lip injections, and don't let anyone put permanent lip fillers or Radiesse in your lips. Stick with hyaluronics such as Juvederm and Restylane.

Michael M. Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm can cause swelling for usually 2-3 days before settling down

+6

During the first 1-2 days the swelling from juvederm is noticeable and is almost always uneven. One side always swells more than the other and it could change the next day.

Try not to look at your lips for the first 2 days and do not massage them during this time since it only aggravates the swelling. Ice and arnica are helpful. Sometimes a little touch up of juvederm is needed a week later to smooth out any irregularities.

Juvederm is a great filler for lips and other areas of the face. Cost is roughly $550/syringe.

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling and bruising after lip injection

+5

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid facial filler and is used to augment the face and lips. Hyaluronic acid initially absorbs water and may appear more swollen in the first 48 hours post injection. I routinely prescribe bruisestick ointment in order to minimize the bruising and swelling post injection of Juvederm or Restylane.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Swelling following a Juvederm treatment?

+4

In most Juvederm treatment areas, the majority of the swelling should subside within 2-7 days, with the lips being closer to 7. If you noticed bruising after your treatment it may take up to 10 days to resolve, during which time you can wear make-up to cover. Avoiding aspirin, ibuprofen, and alcohol for 48 hours before and after your treatment is advised, as they are all blood thinners and may increase your chance of bruising. Swelling at the Botox injection sites usually only lasts about 20 minutes, and bruising is unusual.

Frances Jang, MD
Vancouver Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling in the lips after Juvederm

+4

Restoring natural volume to the face has been a great advance in facial rejuvenation. Purified gels, such as Juvederm, are used to restore this volume and are often used in the mid and lower face. A very common side effect with lip injections is swelling which may last for hours or a few days. During this recovery time, the lips may appear uneven. If this unevenness does not improve after one week, I would consult with your injecting physician to reevaluate the product placement.

Miriam Hanson, MD
Austin Dermatologist

Swelling after Juvederm

+4

Normally the swelling from a Juvederm injection subsides within 24-72 hours.  I would recommend icing the area for 5-10 minutes every two hours while awake today and tomorrow, then see how things go.

If there was some bleeding within the area of injection that seems fuller than the other side, it may stay swollen a few more days, but should resolve within a week or so.  Again icing within the first 48 hours helps quite a bit.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after Juvederm injection is normal

+4
You should expect swelling following injection of Juvederm because:
1. Multiple injections to any area is a form of trauma, and trauma causes swelling (sometimes asymmetric swelling).
2. All hyaluronic acid products (Juvederm, Perlane, Restylane) are designed to absorb water, giving a puffy appearance at first.
3. If you had a dental block done (local anesthesia injections) at the time of treatment, the anesthetic itself will cause some swelling.
I generally see patients 3 to 4 weeks after any injections.  This is a better timeframe for judging results.

Ronald Friedman, MD

Juvederm Swelling

+4

Juvederm swelling is difficult to assess immediately after.  Steps to decrease swelling include:

• Antihistamines (oral) can decrease swelling faster in the lip.  
  • Most patients like the swollen phase, especially when properly injected though.  
  • Ice
  • Massage in specific instance can be helpful

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Swelling

+3

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid filler used in the face to fill soft tissue defects. In the first 48 hours there is usually swelling that may be asymmetric. After that time period then the swelling will decrease and become more even.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD