After Juvederm, how do I distinguish between the product and abnormal swelling? (photo)

Hello I Had  Juvederm Lip Injections 3 Days Ago. and also had dental block for the precedure as well..ive noticed that there is quite some swelling between the lip and nose area and face itself...i also bled quite a bit in the upper portion of my lips during this... ive now noticed red bloches inside my upper lips... and a slight little like transpatrent mark....do i have anything to be concerned about? and how do i know whats swelling and whats the actual product...Thankyou ..kittling

Swelling after Juvederm Lip Injections

+2

Unfortunately it is almost impossible to tell how much is swelling and how much is injectable substance beneath the skin. In fact, they can feel very similar even to experienced hands. I would recommend waiting a week or two, and in the meantime avoiding alcohol and aspirin. I would also ice the area and try an herbal supplement like Arnica Montana. The swelling does seem a bit asymmetrical, so see your physician if this appearance continues. 

Swelling after Juvederm

+2

Greetings~

It appears you definitely have a significant amount of swelling after your injections.  It's difficult to say how much of what you are seeing is swelling and how much is product.  Wait at least one week (more likely two) to decide anything about the size and shape of your lips.  Any concerns about asymmetry or size can be easily addressed at that time.  If your find your lips are too big you can have the Juvederm dissolved with hyaluronidase.  For now, try to take it easy...no vigorous exercise, continue to ice, consider topical as well as oral arnica, and ibuprofen.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

How long after Juvederm injections for swelling to go down

+2

The typical side effects associated with hyaluronic acid injections such as Juvederm or Restylane include bruising, redness, swelling and pain. These occur in as high as 90% of patients and usually resolve within one week. It is possible that some of these side effects may be affected by the injection techniques such as fan like injections, higher injection volumes, and more rapid injection times. I always recommend waiting at least one to two weeks for the swelling to go down after the treatment before worrying about any long-term adverse effects or considering any "touch-up" treatments such as additional filler injections or reversing the treatment using hyaluronidase.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after juvederm

+2

It is certainly possible that quite a bit of this is swelling but my guess would be that there is a lot of Juvedem in there. How much was used? Also, there looks like there might be a little vesicle on your left upper lip and some on the right. If you have ever had a fever blister you might want to take some valtrex. The spot could also be some juvederm reflecting with a flash.  You can use cool compress ten minutes on , ten off and take an anti-inflammatory. Give this a little time as there is nothing that I would do this soon unless blood supply was compromised but at this point that is unlikely to be problem 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Swelling after Fillers

+2

It is best to wait a week or so after injections before getting worried.  However, looking at your photos it looks like a combination of swelling and too much product.  In general, Juvederm swells less than Restylane, so this should also be taken into account.  If there is to much product, many doctors have Vitrase or other HAase enzyme which will melt HA products (Juvederm and Restylane).  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

+2

Wait til 2 weeks past than if still too swollen than it is the product not the swelling in most cases. Thanks

Distinguishing Between Swelling and Product after Juvederrm Injection

+1

There is a significant amount of swelling seen in the post treatment picture you submitted. You did describe bleeding after the injection. Time will answer your question. Be patient and observe the changes as this swelling resolves over the next 2-3 weeks.

Swelling

+1

It is too early to tell if you will need any more juvederm in the central portion of your lip. Once the swelling subsides you may consider checking back with your doctor.

Michael Hueneke, MD

After Juvederm, how do I distinguish between the product and abnormal swelling?

+1

There appears to be a significant amount of swelling in the after picture and you may want to give it a week to see what's swelling and what's Juvederm.  There's no magic in any filler.  The real magic, in using fillers for facial shaping/contouring lies in the MD's ability to understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face.