Crooked Smile After Juvederm Permanent?

I had Juvederm injected into my lips. My smile has been crooked ever since. After this lip filler, will my lips get back to normal or will I have crooked smile forever? Thanks for your answers.

Juvederm and crooked smile

+1

Lip tissue is like sponge so it's not uncommon for some areas to "fill" more than others. Many people already have some mismatch in lip size and it is only when the lips are augmented that they notice this anomaly.

Most lip augmentation requires very small amounts of product. It could be that you are experiencing temporary swelling in one area that is more than another. Juvederm draws tissue water and most patients have a short term over response that resolves relatively quickly.

Give your filler at least 7 days to settle in before taking any kind of action. Stay well hydrated and skip alcohol, sodium and sodas, all of which affect hydration levels in the skin -- including the lips.

If the imbalance persists, your doctor can adjust the overfill with a product called Hyaluronidase which quickly breaks down hyaluronic acid fillers. This must be done slowly and carefully but should resolve your issues.

Because hyaluronic acid gels usually last only around 4 to 6 months in the lips, your imbalance is not permanent.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm

+1

Juvederm is not permanent.  It lasts 4 - 6 months, on average.  If the abnormality you have noted following the injection of Juvederm is due to the Juvederm then it should resolve.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD