How Can Juvederm Be Used in Midface Without Lumpy Results?

Having had Juvederm injections several times for smile lines before, one doctor said that she could inject it in my cheeks and under my eyes if I want to try to restore some volume. I am hesitant because my experience is that the product stays where it's injected, so how can it be used to treat a large area and not look lumpy?

Juvederm

+2
There are different types of Juvederm, all with different thicknesses and consistencies. I find that Voluma is great for adding volume to the cheek area. Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus can be great for nasolabial folds, depending on the depth of the fold. Restylane does best for tear troughs. Typically, Voluma is placed on bone and adds height to the cheek area. It can also augment a chin well, too. Because of it's placement, it should not appear lumpy in that area the way a more superficial injection has the potential to look. Every face is different and the amounts, product preference, and techniques are unique to the person and the injector. Find an injector you trust and you have the potential to be very satisfied. Best of luck!

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm for cheeks

+1

You must have injections with an experienced board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to achieve the best possible result.  Filler in the cheeks is injected deeply so it lifts the area and should be smooth.  Restylane usually gives a better result for the tear trough area under the eyes than Juvederm since there is less chance of puffiness.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Juvederm for midface fullness

+1

Facial fillers like Juvederm can be used to augment the midface.  This can be threaded in place and then massaged in to distribute it more evenly.  Good technique will make this look realy good.

With good technique, you can avoid Juvederm lumps.

+1

Hi!  It is all about technique.  In Manhattan, we use a lot of Juvederm to enhance mid face volume, and lumps can be avoided if it is done right.

For under the eyes, we prefer small amounts of Restylane (this area is very unforgiving, so technique is even more important).

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Balanced result depends on Juvederm placement

+1

You can have Juvederm used to augment the cheek area and hide "bags" under the eyes. The key as you already have noted is in placement. Areas with thin skin, particularly the periorbital area needs to have placement done in a deep plane to avoid visible contour irregularities.

Also, placement of the filler in a fine diffuse pattern rather then in several large quantities is important to acheiving a balanced result. The nice thing about treating these areas is that it tends to last much longer then when treating the nasolabial folds or lips because these areas have less muscle movement and thus the rate of resorption is less. I have several patients who have filler under the lower eyelids still present at 1-2 years from injection.

I hope this helps you.

Samson Lee, MD