Juvederm Injections Under Eyes?

I don't like how my under eye area looks hollow, so I decided to get Juvederm. However, I noticed that the doctor didn't inject in that area, but rather, closer to the top of my cheek bone, and so I am not really seeing results. They still look tired. Is it not possible to have Juvederm directly under eyes?

Juvederm under the eyes

+2

Thanks for your question

Juvederm (or any other filler) can be a useful tool for filling in static wrinkles. The lower lid skin however is quite thin and caution should be used as bumps and bruising can be more common in this area.

In our San Francisco area practice, we inject this area very rarely because of these potential problems. Also, be sure to recognize that this is considered an "off label" use of Juvederm (it is not FDA approved for injection in this area).

Have an honest conversation with your physician to assess the risks.

I hope this helps

Juvederm under the eyes

+1

Juvederm or restylane can be injected to camouflage the tear trough region. This usually  means injection by the orbital rim, if it is injected too close to the lower lid, it can lead to bumps and other irregularities.

Juvederm injections under eyes

+1

Juvederm can be injected directly under the eye, just not above what we call the orbital rim (where the bone ends deep to the lower eyelid). In this location, the material should be injected in a deep plane (under the muscle). Also, for the lower eyelid area, I prefer Restylane to Juvederm. I would suggest seeking a physician injector with experience in this area.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist