Should I Have the Juvederm Injection Before I Have the Laser Treatment for Red and Brown Spots?

Combining fillers with superficial lasers: is it ok?

+3

it is very common to combine injectables such as Botox and fillers with surface treatments. We performed a study that showed superficial treatments do not affect the underlying fillers. If you were to consider deeper more aggressive laser treatments then I would suggest you delay for a minimum of three months.

It doesn't matter

+2

The laser treatments for brown and red affect the epidermis mainly and only a fraction of the dermis.  The fillers are placed much deeper than this so the laser treatment would not affect the filler and vice versa.  You could have them done at the same time as well, and in that case I would do the filler first as the laser treatment may create some swelling which would make it difficult to know where to place the filler.

Carla R. Retief, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Lasers and Fillers...

+2

I typically will recommend patients to get their laser treatments first then get any injectables they wish after the swelling of the laser treatment has subsided....or... if they choose to get an injectable first they should wait at least 2 to 4 weeks before getting their laser treatments.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens   

Grant Stevens, MD

Combining Laser Treatment with Filler Injections

+2

Because Laser treatments and filler injections occur at different levels of the skin, they are often combined. Juvederm is injected into the skin at the level of the mid to deep dermis. Lasers create a beam of highly concentrated light that delivers a controlled amount of therapeutic heat which is absorbed by the red and brown spots on the surface of the skin. It should not affect the underlying Juvederm which has been placed much deeper in the skin. More aggressive laser resurfacing procedures, however, to be safe should be done prior to filler injections.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and laser

+1

It does not matter in what order you have Juvederm or a laser for red and brown spots.  In fact, if you have any bruising from the Juvederm, a pulsed dye laser or intense pulsed light will help the bruise fade more quickly.  If you are considering both treatments on the same day, have the filler first followed by the laser or IPL.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Same time is fine

+1

You can have Juvederm before, after, or at the same time as a laser treatment.  It does not affect the results.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Fillers and lasers, which to do first

+1

Lasers for coloration do not extend deep enough to cause a concern about the fillers which are placed. If you were to wait to finish laser before fillers, you might have to wait for a half year or more, if a series of FraxelRestore  treatments or tattoo removal treatments were done as an example, and this is unnecessary to avoid having fillers until the laser treatment is completed.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Combining fillers and lasers: which to do first?

+1

I usually advise my patients to have the laser procedure done first, then the filler injections when the skin has settled down after the laser procedure, within 2 weeks or so.  Both procedures can potentially have side effects, swelling, redness, and if both are done together, it's hard to differentiate what it is due to.

There are no reports of adverse effects of having laser performed soon after hyaluronic acid fillers.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm injection and laser treatment for brown and red spots

+1

The laser treatment for brown and red spots is unlikely to affect filler injections and vice versa.  Given the choice of doing the filler injections first or the laser first, I would probably have the laser treatment first and wait until the inflammation/redness have fully resolved (usually occurs within 1 week), then have the filler procedure.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist