Juvederm injected in tear trough area, lasted ONLY 2 weeks! How is that possible? (Photo)

Tired about my under eye bags, I went to one of the best Dr in town, he advised me Juvederm injections in the tear trough +cheekbone areas. 1 week later it looked STUNNING & no more bruising! At the end of week 2, the effect started disappearing slowly,and today (+ 1 month) I am back to my old self... Do you have any clue what happened? My Dr. said it was very rare but some metabolisms absorb the product. Is that possible after 2 weeks? He is supposed to be a really good practitioner. Thank you!

You may want to consider discussing a under eye blepharoplasty.

+1

You may want to consider discussing a under eye blepharoplasty with a board certified plastic surgeon for more permanent results. Ensure all the product has dissolved before you go head with any surgery.

Juvederm injected in tear trough area, lasted ONLY 2 weeks! How is that possible?

+1
Sounds plausible but I would than use Belotero Balance over a 2 weeks session of injections to build up the layering effect... 

Filler Metabolism Varies Between Patients

+1
Thank you for the question and the pics. Unfortunately, yes, it is possible. The metabolism for filler products varies widely between patients.  For hyaluronic acid fillers, like Juvederm, this is especially true.  In other areas of the face, like the nasolabial folds, you can treat with more filler or more frequency. This is difficult around the eyes however.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Disappeared After 2 Weeks

+1
Hello and thank you for your question. This question is difficult to answer without all the complete details. One possible explanation for this is that not enough product was used during your initial treatment. The swelling that resulted gave the appearance of an adequate correction, but once the swelling resolved after a couple of weeks it revealed the fact that there was not enough product used. You may need additional product to achieve the correction you desire. I usually have my clients come back in 2 weeks so that we can reassess and do touch up injections if needed. Personally, I have never had a client whose fillers were metabolized within 2 weeks of injection. The best judge of this would be your doctor as he is the one that performed the injections, so it is important that you follow up with him. Hope this helps you!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Filler migration

+1
There indeed is the occasional patient who metabolizes hyaluronic acid very quickly - and there is no "cure" for that. 
However, the hyaluronic acid also sometimes just  shifts downwards and the bags under your eyes may appear worse than before.  In that case, you should be able to feel the product as a "lump" which could be dissolved using hyaluronidase.  Restylane my be a better product for you then Juvederm. 

Niels C. Krejci, MD
Boston Dermatologist