Juvederm for Undereye Troughs with a History Severe Scarring?

upon reading the pamphlet, it does no history of the safety of juvederm for patients prone to severe scarring, i.e.hypotropic and KELOID which have formed on other parts of my body. what is your intake on this & have you had any experience with this? thanks

Juvederm works for the undereye

+1

The treatment of the under-eye, or the tear trough, is a very common procedure. Hollowing and loss of volume under the eye, with descent of the cheek fat pad, can lead to a deep lower lid groove and/or bags, which can lead to an appearance of being tired or old. Soft tissue fillers placed expertly and strategically under the eye can be very rejuvenating. Of course, there are potential complications and persistent swelling, bruising and asymmetry are three of the most common.

There are very rare and serious side effects to under-eye injections, such as product embolism and retinal blindness that need to be considered. Unless you were to suffer an abscess or inflammatory reaction or other equally rare complications, it is unlikely that a Juvederm injection under your eye will lead to Hypertrophic Scars or adverse scarring, BUT, you should see a certified dermatologist, facial plastic or certified plastic surgeon to have this challenging area injected well

Juvederm and scarring

+1

It is extremely unlikely for you to develop scars after Juvederm.  Juvederm is an excellent treatment for lower lid filling.

Juvederm under the eyes should not cause scarring

+1

No fillers should cause scarring in any location, unless a significant adverse reaction, such as an infection, were to occur.  I agree with the other physicians' comments, when being treated under your eyes especially, make sure you not only go to a core specialist (dermatologist, plastic surgeon, ENT, etc) but also someone with a lot of experience in treating under the eyes, it is a very tricky area to do well!

Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm

+1

There has been no evidence or association of fillers and excessive scarring.

The placement of the filler in the appropriate level will detrmine the body's reaction to the filler. Therefore the level of expertise of the physician is more important.

These days you have gynecologists, emrgency room drs., opthalmologists, pediatricians, psychologists and so called injectors with very little knowledge of the anatomy of the face are doing fillers, botox and cosmetic surgery with no training.

Around the eyes, I use Restylane for a filler and have seen no issues with scarring

+1

I agree with the others that scarring does not appear to be an issue with injectables around the eye.  The most important factor is the experience of the filler.  This is the area where most of the issues I've seen on Realself have stemmed from.  I also almost always use Restylane around the eyes.

Lower Lid Filler Injection

+1

I agree completely with Dr. Rand. There does NOT appear to be an association between filler or Botox injections and a propensity for hypertrophic scarring. Restylane appears to be a lot better in use around the lower lid than Juvederm. It does not exhibit as much swelling after placement.

Juvederm under the eyes

+1

I can't speak to the issues of keloids but they are exceedingly rare around the eyes.  Also, I have found that Juvederm causes more edema in the lower lids than Restylane so I have gone back to exclusively Restylane.  Make sure a doctor is injecting your eyes, not a nurse or an aesthetician.

Although rare, scarring is a possibility after dermal filler injections

+1

The safety of Juvederm in patients with a history of excessive scarring has not been studied. I would think it would be extremely unlikely to get a keloid or hypertrophic scar from a small gauge needle injection. The bigger risk would be if you developed some other uncommon complication after injection such as an infection or an exaggerated inflammatory response. In that case, there is a chance your skin could end up forming a hypertrophic or keloidal scar. I would recommend consulting with a dermatologist experienced in filler injections who can evaluate your history in more detail.

Houston Dermatologist